Notices
Western Canada If you live in the British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Yukon, North West Territories or Nunavut area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Tires Tires Tires

Old 09-17-2008, 01:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tires Tires Tires

Just throwing this out there for anyone else that may have encountered similar problems and their stories regarding purchasing tires north of the border....
Here's my story...a couple months ago I went in search for new tires, basically who could get me the best deal...luckily I don't need to worry about install as I have access to a fully loaded shop and can install on my own...I went in search of a nice 33" MT and it was a toss up between the Cooper STT's, BFG KM2's, or Firestone Destinations....when I started phoning around here in Edmonton and visiting shops I was pretty down right disgusted with prices, I was getting best deals of 380.00/tire for the Coopers, and similar prices for the other two....then someone suggested Tirerack.com and I checked out the prices to get them shipped from the States...not expecting much I was BLOWN away with how much I was going to save on my tires INCLUDING getting them shipped over the border!!!! In the end, I settled for the Firestone Destination 285 75 R17's at 199.00/tire, and when all was said and done shipped from the states total cost was 1300.00 for 5 shipped. PLUS, they don't hit you up for extra brokerage (rip off) fees upon delivery, 1300 that was it nothing more!!! I've saved my self roughly 500.00 by ordering from the States!!
When I phoned a local "Tire Warehouse" manager and discussed with him what was going on with their pricing he basically put his back up and told me to open my own tire warehouse and compete with him, no friendly discussions, no deals to be made....turned his back and told me to get stuffed.

So...two weeks ago the order went in online, today tires arrived up here in good old Edmonton UPS guy basically dropped them off and went on his way and I looked over all tires and they are mint!

Long story shot.....I will never again shop locally for anything
Old 09-18-2008, 08:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
Just throwing this out there for anyone else that may have encountered similar problems and their stories regarding purchasing tires north of the border....
Here's my story...a couple months ago I went in search for new tires, basically who could get me the best deal...luckily I don't need to worry about install as I have access to a fully loaded shop and can install on my own...I went in search of a nice 33" MT and it was a toss up between the Cooper STT's, BFG KM2's, or Firestone Destinations....when I started phoning around here in Edmonton and visiting shops I was pretty down right disgusted with prices, I was getting best deals of 380.00/tire for the Coopers, and similar prices for the other two....then someone suggested Tirerack.com and I checked out the prices to get them shipped from the States...not expecting much I was BLOWN away with how much I was going to save on my tires INCLUDING getting them shipped over the border!!!! In the end, I settled for the Firestone Destination 285 75 R17's at 199.00/tire, and when all was said and done shipped from the states total cost was 1300.00 for 5 shipped. PLUS, they don't hit you up for extra brokerage (rip off) fees upon delivery, 1300 that was it nothing more!!! I've saved my self roughly 500.00 by ordering from the States!!
When I phoned a local "Tire Warehouse" manager and discussed with him what was going on with their pricing he basically put his back up and told me to open my own tire warehouse and compete with him, no friendly discussions, no deals to be made....turned his back and told me to get stuffed.

So...two weeks ago the order went in online, today tires arrived up here in good old Edmonton UPS guy basically dropped them off and went on his way and I looked over all tires and they are mint!

Long story shot.....I will never again shop locally for anything
Same crap here with my Tire dealer.....he has not keen enough to sharpen his pencil and give me his best deal on MT's for our JK and my Dodge CTD 4x4. I have been a great customer for the last 8 years buying winter tires, rims and tires for my F150 Super Crew, Dodge Magnum R/T, Dodge Ram CTD and now our JK. But I saw prices down in the states for the same Cooper STT tire I was pissed that he charged me about $100/tire more than I could have gotten down in the states.

So, this spring when I need new Toyo M/T's for my CTD....I am driving down with my truck across the border and finding a shop and getting new tires mounted and balanced down near Spokane. My local tire dealer is still wanting $425/tire for 33x12.5R18's Toyo M/T's not sure how much in the states...but I will be looking for prices down there before I go and do a good ole shopping spree with the family next spring. I will have to check with our sponsor Discount tire to see what kind of deal he can make.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:10 PM
JK Super Freak

It's sick isn't it

Thats about the same I was getting here, 100+ a tire...and thats AFTER exchange rates....Now...I often wonder if it's the markets reaction to the oil money people are spending like stink up here so they just don't give a damn how much they're charging cause they know someone will pay it, or what...but I sure as shit won't pay their ridiculous prices...

I fully endorse your plan to head to the states to pick up your tires, absolutely brilliant idea and I wish I lived a little closer to the border cause I'd do the same thing

however....tirerack pulled through for me and I'm happy for that...not only did I order 5 new tires for myself but another 5 tires AND rims, mounted, balanced and ready to rock for my girlfriends 4runner (toyota ..jk)
With the money we dropped I woulda figured someone would be willing to deal

how has everyone else been getting their tires??
Old 09-18-2008, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Revelstoke B.C hey....I drove through there about 5 years ago when Kelowna was burning down with the military....I was driving an LSVW Box Amb (big green ugly machine) when we pulled through a gas station to fuel up (there was only 3 vehicles in my packet) we realized there wasn't any diesel pumps so we circled through and were pulling out when some crazed woman in a car full of kids through her McDonalds drink all over the side of my amb and it wasn't like I had boxed her in, or cut her off or done anything to provoke such an assault, plus when I looked around to investigate the source of the ambush I saw her screaming at me inside her car.....I'll never figure that one out, my guess is she just didn't like the military ??? ....but we were on the way to stop the lower mainland from burning down ???
Old 09-18-2008, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need more vendors on this side of the border...sigh
Old 09-18-2008, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Brad2893
We need more vendors on this side of the border...sigh
true true....
Old 09-19-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
Revelstoke B.C hey....I drove through there about 5 years ago when Kelowna was burning down with the military....I was driving an LSVW Box Amb (big green ugly machine) when we pulled through a gas station to fuel up (there was only 3 vehicles in my packet) we realized there wasn't any diesel pumps so we circled through and were pulling out when some crazed woman in a car full of kids through her McDonalds drink all over the side of my amb and it wasn't like I had boxed her in, or cut her off or done anything to provoke such an assault, plus when I looked around to investigate the source of the ambush I saw her screaming at me inside her car.....I'll never figure that one out, my guess is she just didn't like the military ??? ....but we were on the way to stop the lower mainland from burning down ???
That would be correct 2003 was a nasty year for Fires in the Interior and the horrible Kelowna Fire. That Macdonalds, PetroCanada, A&W circle is nasty to get out onto Victoria Road onto the Trans Canada. However, it is now worse with the Tim Horton's across the way....it's a traffic nightmare to get out during the summer months!
Old 09-19-2008, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
However, it is now worse with the Tim Horton's across the way....it's a traffic nightmare to get out during the summer months!
ha ha ha, how truly Canadian hey ! A Tim Hortons affecting local traffic the curse of the hortons
Old 09-21-2008, 04:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was able to get 5 Mickey Thompson MTZ's in 33x12.5R17 sizing for $310 each installed and balanced.

This was at National 4x4 in Langley. Still not quite as good as the states, but not a bad deal overall since I would have to pay some shop for install and balance anyway.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same proble, when was shopping for my tires.. But then. the local 4x4 shop North Shore Offroad matched the price with Us vendor.. and i got pretty good deal on 315 75 R17 (35s) for only $220 a pc.. where other local shops gave me crazy prices like $380 a peice.. You do the math how much I saved...

Quick Reply: Tires Tires Tires