Notices
Western Canada If you live in the British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Yukon, North West Territories or Nunavut area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Windshield light bars

Old 01-11-2010, 12:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Little Fella
EXCERPTS FROM THE BC MVA REGS:

Auxiliary driving lamps
4.09 (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 auxiliary driving lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height of not less than 40 cm and not more than 1.06 m, that are capable of displaying onlywhite light.

(2) An auxiliary driving lamp must be directed so that the high intensity portion of the beam is, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, at least 12 cm below the height of the lamp and, at a distance of 25 m from the lamp, not higher than 1.06 m from the road surface.

(3) An auxiliary driving lamp must operate so that it is illuminated only when the upper beam of a multiple beam headlamp is illuminated.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

Fog lamps
4.11 (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 fog lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle below the headlamps, that are capable of displaying only white or amber light.

(2) Each fog lamp must be

(a) mounted not more than 30 cm below the headlamps, and

(b) adjusted and aimed so that, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, the centre of the beam is at least 10 cm below the height of the fog lamp.

(3) The fog lamp wiring and switch must permit simultaneous operation of the parking lamps, tail lamps, licence plate lamp and, if required, clearance lamps.

(4) The operator of a vehicle may use fog lamps instead of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]
Hey Chris

If I have the windshield lights do they have to have a cover over them while on the pavement?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LINKS TO THE BC MVA and REGS:

Motor Vehicle Act

Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

Last edited by Little Fella; 01-11-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Hey Chris

If I have the windshield lights do they have to have a cover over them while on the pavement?
Technically yes as they are not authorized for highway use. They're mounted too high and I'm guessing they exceed the allowed wattage. I would suggest if not keeping them covered with opaque covers, at least keep covers in the Jeep so you could say you forgot to put them on. This is not guaranteed to get you out of a ticket but it's better than nothing.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

would have to be a pretty dick cop to pull anyone over for that
Old 01-15-2010, 02:38 PM
JK Super Freak

KingKoopa has a light-bar above his windshield and is from Winnipeg. I'm sure he'd help you out!! hope that helps
Old 01-22-2010, 08:57 PM
JK Newbie

So I decided on the MBRP bar and I ordered one today. Does anyone know where to get lights at a reasonable price? I've been looking at KC Daylighters 100w but I'm not picky on brand (something reasonably bright for a good price). Northridge wants $170/pair for IPF 968s which seems a bit pricy compared to some other places, but maybe those are far superior lights?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:15 AM
Rocksedge

Originally Posted by iawalker
So I decided on the MBRP bar and I ordered one today. Does anyone know where to get lights at a reasonable price? I've been looking at KC Daylighters 100w but I'm not picky on brand (something reasonably bright for a good price). Northridge wants $170/pair for IPF 968s which seems a bit pricy compared to some other places, but maybe those are far superior lights?
We can set you up with some of these 6" lights from Vision X. These lights come in a pair with all the wiring, relays and switch as well covers for the lights so you would be legal. Cost for a pair is $120.00cdn I will also ship these to you free of charge.

The lights on the blue Tacoma are these Vision X lights with the covers on.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rocksedge
In BC and Alberta I know for sure that you can have one set of driving lights mounted lower than your headlights, any other lights that you have on your vehicle whether above or below headlights must have covers on them when on the street or you can get a fine.
In Alberta you can have 6 forward facing light (uncovered) including two driving (factory headlights) and four aux driving/fog lights....anything else would legally require covers including the windshield lightbar lights....Although I Haven't seen or heard of this being enforced by citation in Alberta...Common sense usually prevails, If you're using a dozen aux lights driving down the highway & blinding other drivers you should be expecting the ticket.

That being said, I've been pulled over (never cited) in BC for not having covers on aux. lights installed below the headlamps on my truck...really up to the discretion of the officer on the site as to wether or not he wants to cite you for something, then you'll get your day in court to justify your actions...

As to not having a light bar on a Jeep in Alberta...If it's a wheeling rig and on the trails I frequent, they wouldn't last long before they'd be ripped off by low lying limbs,...I'm honestly suprized I haven't completely ripped the Snorkel off my TJ yet,...it's been close though.

Last edited by B-MAN; 01-24-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's the Alberta reg reguarding Aux. lights...

Auxiliary driving or fog lamps
50(1) In this section,
(a) “auxiliary driving lamp” means a SAE J581 type Y lamp;
(b) “fog lamp” means a SAE J583 type F lamp.
(2) A motor vehicle may have fixed or movable auxiliary driving lamps or fog lamps mounted on the front if their centres are lower than the centres of the headlamps.
(3) Not more than 2 auxiliary driving lamps or 2 fog lamps may be mounted on each side of the vertical centre line.
(4) Auxiliary driving lamps on a motor vehicle must be used only at the same time the high beams on the headlamps are used.
(5) Fog lamps on a motor vehicle must be used only at the same time the low beams on the headlamps are used.
(6) Despite subsection (5), fog lamps may be used without headlamps if the weather and road conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.
(7) A person shall not drive or operate or own a motor vehicle that has a total of more than 4 auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps.
(8) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle that has a total of more than 2 auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps lit at the same time.
(9) An auxiliary driving lamp or fog lamp on an unloaded motor vehicle must be adjusted and aimed so that none of the high‑intensity portion of the light to the left of centre of the vehicle projects, at a distance of 8 metres ahead, higher than 100 millimetres below the centre of the lamp from which the light is projected.
(10) Fog lamps on a motor vehicle may emit amber or white light.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've also been considering the MBRP bar for my street queen...If you need some help with the wiring, feel free to drop me a line, making your own harness is the way to go IMHO, and the switch you are looking for (covered switch) is easy to find locally...

the dirty girl...

Quick Reply: Windshield light bars