Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Redo'ing my CB setup for backcountry travel

Old 12-21-2015, 12:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Redo'ing my CB setup for backcountry travel

Well, my little realistic cb crapped the bed recently so I am in the process of upgrading my entire system. I am going to use the uniden 520xl radio for compact durability. Then I am adding a 100w linear amplifier to get longer distance between vehicles and still have communications. I am topping it/or backing it off with a 3ft firestik II. That will keep most of the antenna out of the way of brush etc while on the trails.

Now, before anyone jumps on the legal bandwagon pedestal, we are 100s of KM out of civilization and there are no towns, cities etc anywhere close. Plus, I won't be blasting music, preaching, and otherwise being a nusance over the airways. Its simply to be in touch with other vehicles in the back country. The good thing is that the amplifier also helps with receiving as well as transmitting From what I have read.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:39 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Okay, I won't lecture. But a linear amp, by itself, will not improve reception. Some enterprising fellow (bear in mind, you are dealing with and trusting someone who knows he is breaking the law) may have incorporated some sort of pre-amp into his linear. And there are certain cases where a pre-amp could improve reception. But those cases involve long lines of coax, and mounting the pre-amp at the antenna, not in the linear.

Honestly, if you can't get the performance you need from CB, maybe you and your friends should look into ham licenses. Here in Oklahoma we're holding classes to help four wheelers earn their licenses. A 2-meter radio, using common repeater networks, can easily talk anywhere within reason.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:21 AM
JK Junkie

The other thing mark, we don't have a reliable repeater system here anymore I don't think.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:37 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, the very best thing you could do is to buy / build a dipole (full size half- wave) antenna, resonant on the CB emergency call frequency (at least I think that there's one so designated). Figure out a means of getting it up in the air (> 35') while out on the trail. Make sure you have enough feed-line / coax to get back to the radio.

I'd also look into a CB rig with side-band capability, if there isn't any interest in Ham radio.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:06 PM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

To clarify:

I wouldn't expect you to try my suggestion whilst mobile........ Rather, when parked / at a camping spot.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:00 AM
JK Junkie

Kinda figured! ha ha.

I have been in contact with the amateur radio club and the president actually told me that there are 3 repeaters that cover the entire area that we travel in the most. Never knew it. but they are 100kms away. Is he correct? that I can trip a repeater say 200kms away and get in contact?
Old 12-28-2015, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

60 and 120 miles are very do-able with a HAM radio, what kind of power are you putting out with your ham? Do you know what the repeater TX power is? Is this 2M, 70CM??
Old 12-28-2015, 10:03 AM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kojack
Kinda figured! ha ha.

I have been in contact with the amateur radio club and the president actually told me that there are 3 repeaters that cover the entire area that we travel in the most. Never knew it. but they are 100kms away. Is he correct? that I can trip a repeater say 200kms away and get in contact?
Repeaters are a very useful communication method, however they have limitations. The frequencies used for these relay devices are VHF and UHF (very-high frequency and ultra-high frequency). These bands are typically "line-of-sight". So, if you can see the mountain-top, or know that the repeater location is high enough, the distance you show aren't a problem. Also, if you can't hit the repeater from a low lying area, then all that needs to happen is for you to move to higher ground (for the most part - this is a simplistic explanation).

Get with the folks at the club for more information. You might find that amateur radio is a very worth while endeavor, and goes very well with off-road activity.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:36 PM
JK Junkie

Cool, I am going to re do my CB setup as mentioned and see what happens. And then if not satisfactory, move to vhf radios.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any luck with your cb setup?

Quick Reply: Redo'ing my CB setup for backcountry travel