Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Back up camera?!

Old 02-10-2016, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back up camera?!

Hey Jeep fam, looking into a back up camera instead of adding LED's to aid when backing up since my windows are all tinted. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-11-2016, 02:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alp1n3
Hey Jeep fam, looking into a back up camera instead of adding LED's to aid when backing up since my windows are all tinted. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
My wife wanted a back-up camera, so I added on when I put in my aftermarket head unit, works great. Camera is on a bracket hidden in the spare so you get a good viewing angle.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WHT_JKUR
My wife wanted a back-up camera, so I added on when I put in my aftermarket head unit, works great. Camera is on a bracket hidden in the spare so you get a good viewing angle.
Can we see some pics of the installation? I'm trying to get ideas on how to mount mine and I really can't picture how this would do the trick.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Search this topic. There is a huge thread on it.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WHT_JKUR
what kind of head unit and camera did you get?
Old 02-11-2016, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Are you adding this to a jeep that already has a factory head unit that can have the backup camera feature activated, or are you going to swap in an aftermarket head unit? We have a factory 430N HU and I installed a Clarion 510 cube shaped cam on a homemade bracket hidden in the centercap of our spare. The issue that we have is that the 430N HU is a pretty crappy unit in alot of ways, including picture quality. We have a friend with this same camera using a Clarion HU and the picture is 1000X better than what we get. I havent found any way to adjust settings on the Jeep 430N headunit to improve the image either. I initially tried a couple of those cheap Amazon Gino cameras, but after a few defective on arrival cams I went ahead and paid for better quality. I bought everything I needed for the install through crutchfield.com I have always had excellent buying and customer/technical support buying from them.

My advice is buy quality, so you only have to install once. I wired our entire jeep for those stupid cheap amazon cams that have short leads that you have to splice wire to and connect in the back of the jeep to existing wiring in the tail lamps, but then ended up with Clarion cam that makes all its connections at the front of the vehicle near the HU using one long continuous heavy gauge/ heavy insulated wire that splits into component wires at the last few feet. There was a significant difference in the quality of the wires used in the Clarion cam versus the cheap cam. I think you would literally be able to easily bite through the wires on the cheap cams.

Overall, a backup cam is one of the best additions we have made to our JKUR. a 35" tire blocks a ton of rear view! The next best mods would be reclining the rear bench and adding a support under the middle seat, adding a spiderweb sunshade top, and building a rear cargo area security deck to protect our stuff and our powered sub enclosure.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alp1n3
what kind of head unit and camera did you get?
Pioneer head unit. AVH series. Here is this the updated model of the one I bought last year. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/AVH-X2800BS

It is a lower end unit, but have not had any problems with it. Bluetooth, Pandora, video input for the camera, and added in a satellite module, There is a interface that allows you to retain steering wheel controls. Went to crutchfield.com to get a list of parts needed, which I bought on Amazon.

Considered the pioneer Pioneer NEX unit with CarPlay, but figured I would let the technology evolve a year or so. Might do an upgrade and swap out current unit next year.

Camera I used us a Boyo. It was pretty cheap, but it "night vision" and the ability to select the orientation of the image. A lot of good inexpensive cameras out there.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kornface13
Can we see some pics of the installation? I'm trying to get ideas on how to mount mine and I really can't picture how this would do the trick.
Jeep and I currently in the same location. I will snap a couple of pic this weekend.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a ok deal on a lockpick unit for my basic non-nav mygig and a cheap 30$ camera off amazon. It works good, comes on in reverse or you can turn it on anytime with a double push of the uconnect button. I went this route because I wanted to be able to see my kayak trailer while going down the road since I literally can't see it at all, not to mention backing it.
The lockpick has 2 video inputs and allows other features, although that's all I use. Like someone already mentioned, if your going to use the mygig, don't buy an expensive camera, it's not high res enough to handle it. Video quality is mediocre at best. As for the bracket on the spare, I just bent a strip of metal into a "Z" and bolted it down to the carrier.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1703919378.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	959.9 KB
ID:	637409  

Last edited by ConroeJK; 02-12-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ConroeJK
I got a ok deal on a lockpick unit for my basic non-nav mygig and a cheap 30$ camera off amazon. It works good, comes on in reverse or you can turn it on anytime with a double push of the uconnect button. I went this route because I wanted to be able to see my kayak trailer while going down the road since I literally can't see it at all, not to mention backing it. The lockpick has 2 video inputs and allows other features, although that's all I use. Like someone already mentioned, if your going to use the mygig, don't buy an expensive camera, it's not high res enough to handle it. Video quality is mediocre at best. As for the bracket on the spare, I just bent a strip of metal into a "Z" and bolted it down to the carrier.
is this what you're talking about? https://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm

Quick Reply: Back up camera?!