Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Heeeaalllllp !!!!

Old 09-21-2014, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heeeaalllllp !!!!

So the skinny , 2012 jeep jk , I have two sets duallys L.E.D lights .. One pair on windshield & one in bumper ... Other than that my electrical is all stock & I have them wired separate & off the battery ... I've had this setup since April or may - no probs ... Today went out to get it & dead .... Not even a click dead .... I jumped it & at idle battery showed 14.60V which I believe shows a operating alternator correct ? And off battery shows 12.80 ... Which is a good battery correct ? .... Any ideas what's going on ? Nothing left on ... Let run for 10 mins shut off & right back to dead ... The dome light flickers the whole time running but the numbers should be normal ?
Old 09-21-2014, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your battery may simply have a dead cell. My stock battery in my '12 died after only 18 months and I had the dealer replace it under warranty. Offloading (and vibrations) kill regular batteries pretty easily.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks e-man ... Did you have any aftermarket accessories ? I'm afraid they're gonna tell me too bad ..... My LEDs are at fault & they won't do anything .... Guess I gotta try . Just seeing if anybody else has been here . Your symptoms the same ?
Old 09-21-2014, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Heeeaalllllp !!!!

Originally Posted by JackDANJK22
Thanks e-man ... Did you have any aftermarket accessories ? I'm afraid they're gonna tell me too bad ..... My LEDs are at fault & they won't do anything .... Guess I gotta try . Just seeing if anybody else has been here . Your symptoms the same ?
I have a winch, D2s in the front bumper, a 10" Rigid SR above the winch, Viair compressor, and a Ham radio all connected through an sPod system. Doubt they'll give you any troubles since the battery is covered by the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty.

For me, my Jeep started fine in my garage. Started it up and drove 15 min to drop my boy off at school. Dropped him off and got back in and it barely made a click. Called my wife to come jump the battery and drive it straight to the dealer. They put the battery on their meter and said it was one of the "worst" dead battery's they've seen. Said that the vibrations from offloading likely destroyed one or more of the plates in the battery.

Last edited by E-Man; 09-21-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

When you start adding lights and winches and whatnot, it might be a good time to consider a battery upgrade to something that will handle the offroad abuse and the extra components better.

The Sears Diehard Platinum has a fairly good rep, as well as several other brands (mostly ones I haven't heard of outside of those threads, but people in the know are giving them good reviews so they are probably worth checking on also). Read through a few of the aftermarket battery threads and see what you think.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Agree with nthinuf 100%. My next battery will be a Die Hard Platinum or other AGM battery. I only went with another stock one since it was free
Old 09-21-2014, 03:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
When you start adding lights and winches and whatnot, it might be a good time to consider a battery upgrade to something that will handle the offroad abuse and the extra components better.

The Sears Diehard Platinum has a fairly good rep, as well as several other brands (mostly ones I haven't heard of outside of those threads, but people in the know are giving them good reviews so they are probably worth checking on also). Read through a few of the aftermarket battery threads and see what you think.
I'm in Canada so couldn't get one of those which I wanted and recommend(sears diehard)... So I had to spend a little more money for another battery I recommend the Odyssey it's been great with all my lights, winch etc ..... Good luck
Old 09-21-2014, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well ! Thanks e-man ! You are the man .. Took it up to autozone just to see they're check & bad battery ..... At this point I agree with you & considering just upgrading battery's or do the dealership hassle for free ... Nothing good on optima ?

It happened to me that fast aswell ! Kinda crazy !
Old 09-21-2014, 06:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Back in the day, Optima was a great option. But, if you find and read through a few of the battery threads I mentioned, you might find that Optima isn't one of the ones people are recommending these days. For whatever reason, their reliability seems to have taken a hit.

From what I have read, the diehard platinum is the top choice for most people. Probably just due to its availability at more local stores than the other top recommendations.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Back in the day, Optima was a great option. But, if you find and read through a few of the battery threads I mentioned, you might find that Optima isn't one of the ones people are recommending these days. For whatever reason, their reliability seems to have taken a hit.

From what I have read, the diehard platinum is the top choice for most people. Probably just due to its availability at more local stores than the other top recommendations.
I hear it's pretty hit and miss with the optimas lately. Most bad reviews I've found were from 2/3 he years ago and not to many recent ones. Seems most of these manufacturers run on a cycle of about 5/7 years for goods and bads in production.

I myself just got an optima from autozone, works great. Only thing I didn't like about it was the sticker that said made made in mexico... can't we make anything here in the states/Canada anymore like this?