Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED fog lights as auxiliary backup lights?

Old 08-12-2010, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LED fog lights as auxiliary backup lights?

I'm thinking about adding some auxiliary backup lights to my Rubicon. Rather than go with standard 55 watt halogen lights (which draw 4.5 amps each) I was thinking about using LED based lights (which draw around .25 amps each). With the LED lights I wouldn't have to run a power wire back from the battery but could use the existing backup light circuit (or 12v from the trailer wiring harness if hooking to the existing circuit pissed off the computer).

I was wondering if anyone had used LED fog lights (for any purpose) and how they worked? I see a number of different ones out there for around $50.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:27 PM
JK Freak

So I'm the guinea pig eh? Okay, I'm game. Searching for lights right now!
Old 08-13-2010, 02:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer
... With the LED lights I wouldn't have to run a power wire back from the battery but could use the existing backup light circuit ...
I connected my 55-watt fog lights to the existing back-up light circuit and it runs all four lights simultaneously when backing with no problems ...

Old 08-13-2010, 03:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I connected my 55-watt fog lights to the existing back-up light circuit and it runs all four lights simultaneously when backing with no problems ...
How is that even possible? I would that should really piss off the CANBUS. I couldn't even replace my 35w fogs with 55w.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash
How is that even possible? I would that should really piss off the CANBUS. I couldn't even replace my 35w fogs with 55w.
Not even to mention the wire size. Have you seen how small they look. Bet that they are not big enough to carry that load.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash
I agree, except I don't think the back-up lights go through the bus. I spliced in at the passenger side taillight.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Here ya go..

In order to wire your aux reverse lights to come on by using a dash mounted switch AND also be activated by shifting into reverse (regardless of the dash switch position), follow the wiring diagram below. Note that you will need a relay with an 87A pin (available at napa). The factory reverse light wire you will need to tap is the white wire with gray stripe. Just remove the 4 screws that secure your tail light lens to acess the wires behind it. Locate the reverse light bulb and then find the white wire with gray stripe.

Excuse my shitty microsoft paint rendering
RELAY:
86: to ground
87: to aftermarket fog lights (white wire)
87A: to center terminal on switch
85: to white wire w/ gray stripe (factory reverse)
30: to battery with inline fuse

Here are mine...

Old 08-15-2010, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default Connecting DayStar Switches

I want to connect the lights to a DayStar switch. The switch has a terminal for a connection to the dimmable light switch, so when the car lights are turned on, a light is on the switch so you can find it in the dark. What wire, behind the center console panel, do you connect?
Old 08-15-2010, 02:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Trail_blaster
I want to connect the lights to a DayStar switch. The switch has a terminal for a connection to the dimmable light switch, so when the car lights are turned on, a light is on the switch so you can find it in the dark. What wire, behind the center console panel, do you connect?
You can tap into the orange wire with the gray stripe...it feeds power to the lights on the HVAC controls and the power window switches. Just remove the panel where the HVAC controls are and you will find all the wires behind there...its very simple..

For a ground wire you can either ground to the chasis or tap into the black wire on the Cig Lighter. Once you tap into the orange/gray wire the lights will be dimmable just like you dim the rest of your dash lights.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

I'm planning on just having the backup lights go on when I'm in reverse. That's one of the reasons I'm going with low draw LED lights... simplicity!

Quick Reply: LED fog lights as auxiliary backup lights?