Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bad experience at the Miami airport this weekend

Old 07-22-2013, 01:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad experience at the Miami airport this weekend

I just have to share this to compensate my loss.
I spent a two-week holiday in florida, ordered some jeep-parts at Morris 4x4 which I picked up to keep shipping costs low.
Among them there were 4 rancho-9000xl shocks which I put in my suitcases.
Well they were confiscated at the airport, I know I should have been smarter but didn't know it wasn't allowed. I travelled with the spanish Iberia airline.

Now the bad thing is they only gave me 20 minutes before flight notice and said I could contact somebody to pick them up until midnight, it was saturday 17u00 at that time.
After midnight they will throw them away or something.

If only I could come up with the idea to just post it on this forum at that moment, at least I've could have made somebody happy with some FREE shocks.
So if there is somebody who wants to try and recover them you can try but I think it's not possible. Will give give you my data through PM and you can go the Iberia-counter and ask.

Just for the record I am not bashing the security-methods of the airports, just feeling silly to even try it, and a little dissappointed they didn't tell me this at Morris 4x4. I guess they also didn't knew...
It's not the end of the world and I still have my leveling kit and white turnsignal-kit to install.

Offcourse it's very hard to convince the wife to order new shocks and have them shipped the proper way. (for the moment it's impossible)

I feel a lot better now I've written this down.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:59 AM
JK Junkie

Bummer, sorry to hear.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry for your loss but it does sound like you are trying to blame others for your mistake. I work at an airport and i see things like this happen all the time. People get upset for their own ignorance. People should know by now you can't fly with just anything. If it is not normal travelling items you need to call and make sure and not expect others to just tell you. Terrorist will try anything to surprise and cause mayhem and is TSA is unsure they will just not allow.

I for one am happy they did not let you fly with them.

Sorry if this seems harsh but things like this aggravate me like people who get upset about being searched.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:20 AM
JK Newbie

I pm'd you hope I can help.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I find it funny that shipping companies can fly shocks no problem on planes. But stupid TSA has to confiscate shocks. I thought that they had things called x ray machines that can clear items like that. Funny the landing gear on the plane has shocks too why don't they take them off the plane they could be bombs.

Few months ago I got hassled for carrying a gun holster in my carryon bag. No gun just a freaking holster. TSA has gotten out of hand about stuff. It's bad enough to have to get there two hours before a flight and then have to take shoes off belts and then get raped scanned.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Did they confiscate from a bag you were checking or were you trying to bring them on carry on?

I travel quite a bit, and by the sounds of it, that sounds like the usual carry on policy. When you check the bag they don't see the contents until you're already through the gate. However, some airports are different.

I could see that being a problem if it was in a carry on bag. It's pretty easy to use a shock as a weapon. I could also see it being an issue as a checked item also. Shocks have liquid inside of them. Metal on the outside, liquid in the inside....you know what kind of device that sounds like.

I've also run into where I had brought a full size tube of tooth paste in my carry-on. The thing was nearly empty, so I thought I was good on the allowable liquid size. However, I learned it's not really how much liquid is in it, it's the size of the container. They told me that I could take it to the service desk, have it boxed and shipped if I wanted. I told them, that's ok, I can go buy some new toothpaste when I reach my destination. It seems like an international hub like the Miami airport would be able to offer you a similar alternative. So, something seems missing in your story.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-22-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I find it funny that shipping companies can fly shocks no problem on planes. But stupid TSA has to confiscate shocks. I thought that they had things called x ray machines that can clear items like that. Funny the landing gear on the plane has shocks too why don't they take them off the plane they could be bombs.

Few months ago I got hassled for carrying a gun holster in my carryon bag. No gun just a freaking holster. TSA has gotten out of hand about stuff. It's bad enough to have to get there two hours before a flight and then have to take shoes off belts and then get raped scanned.
TSA is a joke... Just another way the government trys to get money out of us. General aviation is a life saver
Old 07-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebelyell22
TSA is a joke... Just another way the government trys to get money out of us. General aviation is a life saver
Sure they're a joke until they catch some guy trying to board a plane with explosives in their shoes and end up saving 100's of innocent lives.

It's definitely one of those thankless jobs. Everyone feels hassled because they have to take their shoes and belt off, pull out their ID and not be allowed to bring shock absorbers on with them but when they actually deter terrorists or catch some wack job smuggling box cutters and other potential weapons everyone seems ungrateful.

I travel 2-3 times a month for business which ends up being 24 times a year. Been doing that for 12 years....frequent flyer miles adding up. I've never had a problem with TSA, other than them confiscating my toothpaste and the occasional lighter I forgot I had in my pocket. I'm glad they're there and doing a job that a vast majority doesn't seem to be thankful for. If it means I can feel a tad safer and I can't bring my rancho shocks and Tereflex lift kit on the plane with me, then I can live with the trade off.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rebelyell22
^^^^agree.... just another failed program by the government
Old 07-22-2013, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Never heard of a "no shock absorbers" rule. Far out!

If I ever fly again - which is not likely - I'm gonna wear a speedo and carry a fistfull of cash so I can buy whatever I need when I get there. I will NOT give those assholes the satisfaction.

Quick Reply: Bad experience at the Miami airport this weekend