Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Did the JK kill the "Jeep Wave"?

Old 08-29-2015, 03:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first bought my stock '92 YJ in 2008 and was driving that flat leaf spring mess home, I passed a beautiful girl with the shortest jean shorts in a yellow JKU, and she waved to me. I didn't even know jeep waves were a thing, but that gorgeous, doors off, pillar of tan legs goddess waved to my dumb ass and it changed my life. I always wave now. Doesn't matter if you're in a stock TJ with a faded top and a headlight out, or a juiced JKU Rubicon on 37's, we're a community and you deserve my respect.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludwigsv
When I first bought my stock '92 YJ in 2008 and was driving that flat leaf spring mess home, I passed a beautiful girl with the shortest jean shorts in a yellow JKU, and she waved to me. I didn't even know jeep waves were a thing, but that gorgeous, doors off, pillar of tan legs goddess waved to my dumb ass and it changed my life. I always wave now. Doesn't matter if you're in a stock TJ with a faded top and a headlight out, or a juiced JKU Rubicon on 37's, we're a community and you deserve my respect.
That's the spirit!
Old 08-31-2015, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see her waving now... Except to me.

Love the story, I may steal it for myself when the conversation comes up. I will of course, eventually give the credit where it belongs, but for a short while I'll be envisioning that goddess.

Thanks. Always a waver.

Jeep on, brothers and sisters!

FD
Old 08-31-2015, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fooddude
I can see her waving now... Except to me. Love the story, I may steal it for myself when the conversation comes up. I will of course, eventually give the credit where it belongs, but for a short while I'll be envisioning that goddess. Thanks. Always a waver. Jeep on, brothers and sisters! FD
I never did see her again. She drove out of my life as quickly as she did into it. You're welcome to the story. I was in Lawton, OK, the year was 2008. Err, um... YOU were in Lawton, OK.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

Haha this is great! The stories on this thread are both funny and true. My fiancé and I just bought a 2013 JK and knew very little about the jeep community until now. My fiancé isn't much of a people person so we joke that I unknowingly forced her into a situation to be nice to people, lol. She's had to roll her windows down to talk to random people about her new jeep and wave at other jeep owners, which makes me grin every time. I'm from SW Kansas so we wave at everyone, but I wave across the intersection, median or any chance I get to wave to another jeep owner now. Can't wait to really start modding out our newest member to our family! Wave on y'all!
Old 09-09-2015, 12:53 PM
JK-Forum Editor

Default Front Page News!

Interesting thread. Thought the front page crowd would think so too...
Could the Popularity of the Jeep Wave be Fading? - JK-Forum
Old 09-09-2015, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did the JK kill the Jeep Wave? It depends on where you live. In DFW, I've gotten easily 90% waves back. When we go to Colorado, we get almost no waves back... Then we realized that they have as many Jeep rental places as we do Starbucks! There's also a ton more traffic than just 10 years ago. People just might be paying attention to the road. The JK didn't kill the Jeep Wave. The JK saved the Jeep Brand.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Default 4 door jk

Originally Posted by skramer530
I'm serious, folks. I've had the JK for 5 months now, and have gotten less than ten waves returned, and then they are only from CJs, YJs, and TJs. The 2 wheel drive version and 4 door version seems to have brought in a new class of buyer (you know who I mean) that just doesn't "get it."
So for all you new JK owners who visit this site, and for the old jeepers who want to re-learn the hierarchy, please see this link:

http://www.dirtroadmagazine.com/jeepwave/

Come on now, people. By buying a jeep, you have entered into a world of uncomfortable driving, spilling your drinks, freezing your butt off, constant maintenance and upgrading, and occasionally finding yourself 20 miles from home with no top in a downpour. We are a special bunch who can live with this type of vehicle, so show your comradery!!!

I'm out in Northern California and I still seem to have a decent amount of people wave back. But I do agree that it has declined. Ive noticed an overwhelming amount of "soccer moms" driving the 4 door jk. So when it's said that a new class of buyer is consuming, IMO you can thank the 4 door.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmonnier
I'm out in Northern California and I still seem to have a decent amount of people wave back. But I do agree that it has declined. Ive noticed an overwhelming amount of "soccer moms" driving the 4 door jk. So when it's said that a new class of buyer is consuming, IMO you can thank the 4 door.
Agreed. The jeep used to not be practical, that was the point. It was an enthusiast's utility vehicle. Now the unlimited has opened that up to the soccer mom crowd. Not that don't like the JKU. In fact, there have been times I'd wished I'd sprung for the extra doors and wheelbase, but they did open the doors to those who would otherwise never have considered driving a jeep and certainly have no interest in joining a community.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Detroit Steel
Interesting thread. Thought the front page crowd would think so too...
Could the Popularity of the Jeep Wave be Fading? - JK-Forum
This thread started in 2007. Some of us are on our second or 3rd JK since then.

Quick Reply: Did the JK kill the "Jeep Wave"?