Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

37s questions

Old 12-31-2015, 01:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thadv95
I have a 3.6 with the 6speed
Originally Posted by Da20captain
may want to consider 5.13's
Negative.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsbmg
Negative.
haha... yep, 5.13 would be for the 3.8L engine, 2007-2011 JKs.... 2012+ w/ the 3.6L, 4.88 is ideal.

I actually just put on 37s and can't regear for a few weeks (manual, 3.6L, w/4.10) and I have to say I was surprised that it wasn't worse than it was. It is much more driveable than I thought it would be and now I at least understand why people think it is fine. Still feels like the gearing is too high and can't wait until my regear appointment gets here.

gearing chart down by one of out members for the 3.6L engine.
Click image for larger version

Name:	gear chart 36.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	644.2 KB
ID:	638216
Old 05-04-2016, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have moving around with 3.6 and 6 speed and 37" with stock 4.10 gears with no issues. I am also on no lift and Metalcloak Fenders and bumper. Clears just fine and runs okay, not a sports car.

The biggest thing I notice is the brakes... the 37" Coopers and Atx Slabs and jeep with all Metal fenders, heavier bumpers front/winch and rear and spare. Thing just seems to struggle to stop quickly.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Extremneon
I have moving around with 3.6 and 6 speed and 37" with stock 4.10 gears with no issues. I am also on no lift and Metalcloak Fenders and bumper. Clears just fine and runs okay, not a sports car.

The biggest thing I notice is the brakes... the 37" Coopers and Atx Slabs and jeep with all Metal fenders, heavier bumpers front/winch and rear and spare. Thing just seems to struggle to stop quickly.
I added the Powerstop brakes to my 37" setup. Sleeved and gusseted w/ HD ball joints. Plan on a truss but also considering new axles at the same time.

You'll definitely need to trim your fenders or go flat. Regear w/ your year engine I'd go w/ 4.88's (had 3.21 and did 4.88). After that make sure you tune it properly otherwise it's going to feel like a dog still.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by numbah1
I added the Powerstop brakes to my 37" setup. Sleeved and gusseted w/ HD ball joints. Plan on a truss but also considering new axles at the same time.

You'll definitely need to trim your fenders or go flat. Regear w/ your year engine I'd go w/ 4.88's (had 3.21 and did 4.88). After that make sure you tune it properly otherwise it's going to feel like a dog still.
Exactly my plan.

I order Synergy Ball Joints today and King Bumps yesterday, looking at the Reid Knuckles next. I plan to the have c's done and a gusset added to the front by Motobilt in Dothan once I get the coilover suspension installed. Then RCV front shafts are on the list.

I have the Metalcloak Metal flat fenders front and rear installed currently and clears for road driving with no lift and 37"'s.

4.88's will be eventually, but to be honest, not on the top of my list of stuff as I am not completely struggling with the 4.10 gears. Then the labor cost to have them done, omg... wish I knew how to setup gears.

I will definitely have to address the brakes... they suck.

Looking at the Mopar Performance Brake Kit, with rotors, heavier calipers and booster.

Last edited by Extremneon; 05-04-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Extremneon
Exactly my plan. I order Synergy Ball Joints today and King Bumps yesterday, looking at the Reid Knuckles next. I plan to the have c's done and a gusset added to the front by Motobilt in Dothan once I get the coilover suspension installed. Then RCV front shafts are on the list. I have the Metalcloak Metal flat fenders front and rear installed currently and clears for road driving with no lift and 37"'s. 4.88's will be eventually, but to be honest, not on the top of my list of stuff as I am not complete struggling with the 4.10 gears. Then the labor cost to have them done, omg... wish I knew how to setup gears. I will definitely have to address the brakes... they suck. Looking at the Mopar Performance Brake Kit, with rotors, heavier calipers and booster.
Setting up gears is nowhere near as hard as people make it to be. Just as you're currently experiencing stock gears and 37s that many people say is absolutely terrible yet think it's "fine" is comparable to how people speak of the magic needed to set up gears.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Setting up gears is nowhere near as hard as people make it to be. Just as you're currently experiencing stock gears and 37s that many people say is absolutely terrible yet think it's "fine" is comparable to how people speak of the magic needed to set up gears.
I'am sure it is not once you have done a few and know what you are doing. I have plenty of time to do my, as the jeep is not my daily driver and can be down aslong as it would be needed to be setup correctly.

It is hard to swallow $1600 give or take cost to setup gears and parts (gears, bearings, shims, etc...).

Just not sure on how to do to be honest, never done gears in any vehicle I have had. I always find a shop to do it for me as I think it is some kinda black magic involved.. lol... kidding.

But just unsure on what to look for and tools needed, so I have always left it up to a professional.

Welding is another art that I have never tried learn and would definitely save me some money and allow me to fab up stuff on my own without help.

Last edited by Extremneon; 05-04-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Luckily I've got a good friend who does gears back home so this summer I'll be going to 4.88s and it'll cost me like $600 and some crown royal.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

So all in all after gears, truss, gussets, and diff covers I'll be in about $1200 for both front and rear. Not too shabby for a lot more protection.

Quick Reply: 37s questions