Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All Terrain Shoot Out!

Old 11-17-2008, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Terrain Shoot Out!

Hi all,

O.k. maybe shoot out is over stating it.

So here is where I'm at, in a month or so I will start the build of my 4dr Rubicon. I've got the lift choice narrowed down the the Clayton 4.5, and have decided on 35x12.50's. I want to go with AT's mainly due to long commute/daily driver stuff, the usual reasons. My off-roading will probably be limited to fire roads and trail exploration. I'm not into chasing pigs (mud-bogging) so really a M/T would be overkill I think. I have run BFG A/T's on my '73 Land Rover and my '04 TJ Rubicon, and was very, very happy with them. But, I have read some great reviews about the Yokohama, Nitto, and Maxxis A/T tires and would like to hear from you guys running the more "obscure" brands. Thanks!!

-Derek

Last edited by Percheron; 11-17-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

If I had to have A/T it would more than likely be Pro Comp Extreme A/T. Of the all terrains it has the best offroad reviews plus 40k mile warranty
Old 11-17-2008, 07:08 PM
JK Junkie

I currently have ProComp Extreme AT's on my truck and love them. The only downside is they have to be rotated as often as a mud terrains (3K) and are directional. Ive also owned several sets of BFG AT's over the years without any complaints.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:35 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

as mentioned, i personally think the pro comp extreme a/t's are one of the best around.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the Mickey Thompson ATZ and think they are an awesome all around tire. Deep tread, EXTREMELY quiet on the street....
Old 11-17-2008, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by officer_vince
I've got the Mickey Thompson ATZ and think they are an awesome all around tire. Deep tread, EXTREMELY quiet on the street....
These would be my second choice.

To bly109, didn't realize those were directional. That kind of sucks.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love these tires. Kind of a cross between an AT and an MT. Quiet and smooth like an AT, but more of a bite than most others.

Cooper S/T

Old 11-18-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hankook Dynapro RF10 would be my choice for the money in an all terrain.

Last edited by Renegade; 11-18-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I really appreciate all of them. Really it seems there are to MANY choices, I think it would be easier if we were in pre-glastnost Russia. I think it will come down too ease of purchase. Discount Tires has a few stores close by, as does Les Schwab (A Western States tire dealer with very good service). I like the idea of having a brick n' mortar store to go too and I'm not sure who locally sells either the Coopers or Pro-Comp. Either way, like I said I have time yet, but wanted to have some you chime in with your opinions, and I have learned while lurking here is that everyone has one or two to spare.

-Derek
Old 11-18-2008, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Add another one for the ProComp Xtreme A/T's. IMO the best looking A/T around.

I also REALLY like the Cooper S/T's. The tire guy I talked to said they have all the strong points of the BFG A/T's, but they're better on gravel and in mud.

edit: The Mickey Thompson ATZ's are nice too....

Last edited by noot; 11-18-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: All Terrain Shoot Out!