Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with rear end clunk

Old 12-17-2010, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with rear end clunk

Well, I've had a clunk sound for about a year now. It really only started after my lift,etc was installed. Took it back to my suspsension guy/buddy twice and he checked and retorqued everything and the clunk is still there. I checked and torqued everything myself,sway bar&links,track bar,brackets,etc,everything I can think of and marked it all with white paint pen.

To make a long story short, even had the rear diff carrier/locker replaced which was not the problem cause the clunk is still there. The clunk sounds like it's coming from the rear end.

It's not the jack or door latches which I've seen in other posts and it only happens when either making a quick left or right turn or driving over rutted out or bumpy uneven terrain.

The control arm bushings look ok but don't know how they look on the inside. I've just been ignoring it and turning the radio on but it's just buggin me not knowing what it is.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2010, 03:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jboth
Well, I've had a clunk sound for about a year now. It really only started after my lift,etc was installed. Took it back to my suspsension guy/buddy twice and he checked and retorqued everything and the clunk is still there. I checked and torqued everything myself,sway bar&links,track bar,brackets,etc,everything I can think of and marked it all with white paint pen.

To make a long story short, even had the rear diff carrier/locker replaced which was not the problem cause the clunk is still there. The clunk sounds like it's coming from the rear end.

It's not the jack or door latches which I've seen in other posts and it only happens when either making a quick left or right turn or driving over rutted out or bumpy uneven terrain.

The control arm bushings look ok but don't know how they look on the inside. I've just been ignoring it and turning the radio on but it's just buggin me not knowing what it is.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks
I had the same problem and it turn out to be my left shock bottom bushing, the metal part instead of being round was oval, it sounded just as you describe it, when going trough uneven roads and when turning a quick left (since doing this will rise your left side and pull your left shock).

The way I found it was by pushing the jeep up at the bumper (don't do the normal shock checkup procedure of pushing down on the corner, instead pull or push upwards), and I was able to see how the bushing had some play.

Good luck and let us know
Old 12-17-2010, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Verdulken
I had the same problem and it turn out to be my left shock bottom bushing, the metal part instead of being round was oval, it sounded just as you describe it, when going trough uneven roads and when turning a quick left (since doing this will rise your left side and pull your left shock).

The way I found it was by pushing the jeep up at the bumper (don't do the normal shock checkup procedure of pushing down on the corner, instead pull or push upwards), and I was able to see how the bushing had some play.

Good luck and let us know
Thanks, but honestly I've checked everything including the shocks, they are brand new Bilstein5100's that came with my AEV kit. I will check that though.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jboth
Thanks, but honestly I've checked everything including the shocks, they are brand new Bilstein5100's that came with my AEV kit. I will check that though.
If they are new I don't think that's the problem then, but might as well and check, by the way those are the same I got to replace the stock damaged ones.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Check to see if the spring is hitting the track bar or your sway bar link could be hitting on the axle.
X2. This is what was causing my clunk in the rear. After the lift, the rear coils bowed outward, hitting the track bar. Because of the change in lift height, the angle of the axle spring perch rotated towards the back. You can put 10 degree spring wedges that sit between the spring perch and the springs to correct the angle and straighten the coil. I picked up a pair of ones for about $30 and it fixed my issue. There are weld-ons and bolt-ons but these worked fine and was the cheapest.

Last edited by mkjeep; 12-17-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: blacklisted manf. possibly
Old 12-17-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by renpia
X2. You can put 10 degree spring wedges that sit between the spring perch and the springs to correct the angle and straighten the coil. I picked up a pair of ones for about $30 and it fixed my issue. There are weld-ons and bolt-ons but these worked fine and was the cheapest.

where did you get them
Old 12-17-2010, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by James4
where did you get them
Rockrawler has them......http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/cat...p?r_itemID=247

I run these on mine
Old 12-19-2010, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Check to see if the spring is hitting the track bar or your sway bar link could be hitting on the axle.
Thanks,I will check into this.

Originally Posted by renpia
X2. This is what was causing my clunk in the rear. After the lift, the rear coils bowed outward, hitting the track bar. Because of the change in lift height, the angle of the axle spring perch rotated towards the back. You can put 10 degree spring wedges that sit between the spring perch and the springs to correct the angle and straighten the coil. I picked up a pair of ones for about $30 and it fixed my issue. There are weld-ons and bolt-ons but these worked fine and was the cheapest.
Thanks,I will check into this.

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Rockrawler has them......http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/cat...p?r_itemID=247

I run these on mine
Thanks
Old 12-19-2010, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was able to check a few things today. Pushed up on the rear bumper and found no play nor heard any sounds of movement with the shocks. The AEV kit came with a geometry corrected rear track bar tower and new track bar which I assume would take the spring hitting the track bar into account.

Took a few pics. The springs are bowed and driver's side spring is very close to the tracbar tower bolt,probably within 1/2" but there are no signs of rubbing on either side of the track bar or sway bar end links. How bad is it to keep driving with bowed springs and should this be fixed?

Still stumped. Any other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers side.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	110694   Click image for larger version

Name:	pass side.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	110695  
Old 12-19-2010, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

its hard to see in the pic, but on the driver's side, how close is the coil to the inside of the track bar relocation bracket? looks like it is almost touching.

edit: never mind, reread your post.

Quick Reply: Need help with rear end clunk