Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2015 with 6,000 miles; oil leak????

Old 05-15-2015, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 with 6,000 miles; oil leak????

I have a 2015 2D with 5,900 miles on it. I pulled it out of the garage and noticed an oily spot on the concrete. I crawled under the jeep, and saw motor oil around the two rubber plugs, and back to the cross member. I checked my dip stick and it looks to be about a 1/2 quart low. I also checked the transmission fluid, and it was fine. I have always changed my oil myself, and rotated the tires because I'm very picky. I changed the oil at 4,200 miles. I climbed up on the bumper, and shined a light next to the filter housing. There is some oil at the base, and on the outside of the filter housing. The filter seams snug, and the o-ring looks good. Could the oil be coming from the filter and dripping down the transmission area? I can't get it to the dealer until next Tuesday.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by newjkman
I have a 2015 2D with 5,900 miles on it. I pulled it out of the garage and noticed an oily spot on the concrete. I crawled under the jeep, and saw motor oil around the two rubber plugs, and back to the cross member. I checked my dip stick and it looks to be about a 1/2 quart low. I also checked the transmission fluid, and it was fine. I have always changed my oil myself, and rotated the tires because I'm very picky. I changed the oil at 4,200 miles. I climbed up on the bumper, and shined a light next to the filter housing. There is some oil at the base, and on the outside of the filter housing. The filter seams snug, and the o-ring looks good. Could the oil be coming from the filter and dripping down the transmission area? I can't get it to the dealer until next Tuesday.
There is a thread on this. BAD OIL LEAK PROBLEM!!! I think is how it is titled. Seems to be becoming somewhat common but not at a recall level yet. Google that and see if it's what's happening to you. The signs seem similar.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default boy they just

keep getting better and better every year huh? technology
how long has the pentastar been out now ?

Last edited by jeepmojo; 05-15-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
keep getting better and better every year huh? technology
how long has the pentastar been out now ?
Yeah, just don't buy the first year.....or the second.... or the third........
Old 05-15-2015, 04:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Are you 100% sure you got the correct filter? There are other threads about the fact that there was a change to the filter, even though the engine is the same. Also, did you replace the o ring and make sure the old o ring was removed first?
Old 05-15-2015, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Are you 100% sure you got the correct filter? There are other threads about the fact that there was a change to the filter, even though the engine is the same. Also, did you replace the o ring and make sure the old o ring was removed first?
^^^the o-ring. That effer.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2014. Within 6 mos, I had an oil spot on the drive. Took it in and found out that it was the rear main seal. A known issue. Warranty covered it and hasn't leaked since. Now if they can only fix the damned heater control, I'd be good as gold. Already had it replaced once, and it's acting up again. Sometimes have heat, sometimes not...
Old 05-24-2015, 04:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading about people having issues on '14 and some '15 model 3.6's due to the oil cool/filter housing cracking and leaking down to the area you mention. There's a thread over on wranglerfoum and a few on here that mention it. Apparently they re-designed the part after '13 so it would be compatible in other model Chrysler products, which is why the oil filter is different after '13.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Is it comeing from the front crank seal. Mine used to and would drip all the way to bottom of engine.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

With that mileage I would just take it in just to have it documented and fixed in case you have a future problem.

Quick Reply: 2015 with 6,000 miles; oil leak????