Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Check Engine Code Cylinder 6 Missfire

Old 04-17-2014, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Code Cylinder 6 Missfire

Hey y'all

I had a check engine light about a month ago and I just got another one, both read cylinder 6 Missfire. I don't think anything is wrong, the Jeep doesn't make any funny noises or stutter or anything, idles just fine. I cleared the code the first time,
It went away, and it just came back. The Jeep drives fine. I cleared the code again. Should I be worried? Should I have it checked? Or is the sensor malfunctioning? If the cylinder was misfiring, would I know it? Would it make a sound or would I feel it! Please help! I have a 2012 JKU with the 3.6 Pentastar
Old 04-17-2014, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GreencrawlerJK
Hey y'all

I had a check engine light about a month ago and I just got another one, both read cylinder 6 Missfire. I don't think anything is wrong, the Jeep doesn't make any funny noises or stutter or anything, idles just fine. I cleared the code the first time,
It went away, and it just came back. The Jeep drives fine. I cleared the code again. Should I be worried? Should I have it checked? Or is the sensor malfunctioning? If the cylinder was misfiring, would I know it? Would it make a sound or would I feel it! Please help! I have a 2012 JKU with the 3.6 Pentastar
I would do a search on here about replacing the left head. Seen more then a few write up about. I've lucked out so far. But looks like yours ran out
Old 04-17-2014, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take it to the dealer it needs a left cylinder head. It may run fine now but soon or later the valve seat might fall out causing more damage.

Last edited by egeli; 04-17-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

Yup bad head. Need to get it replaced. Mine went out at 15000. My mpg was around 13 and after the head replacement I am getting 19. As long as you have a misfire code you won't have an issue getting it done. Just repeat after me... "Poor fuel mileage, rough idle, and miss fire code". Those are the magic words :-)
Old 04-18-2014, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Got the rough idle and low mpg but no code yet.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Mine sounded funny since 4-5000 km.. The check engine light never came on until 50000km.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

I had the same issue same cylinder as well. It was my coil. THey are cheap to buy, I paid $25 I think.

There are 6 individual coils within the coil box. Its held on by 3 or 4 philip screws. Very easy to do. Just take a picture and mark your cables.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default Cylinder misfire on no.4

I just got a check engine light at 34750 mi. Took it to the dealer and mentioned the engine light. They called me back and it needs a new head.

I had no rough idle, and gas mileage was at 19. Would not have known it was an issue if the light did not come on.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
I had the same issue same cylinder as well. It was my coil. THey are cheap to buy, I paid $25 I think.

There are 6 individual coils within the coil box. Its held on by 3 or 4 philip screws. Very easy to do. Just take a picture and mark your cables.
You don't have the Pentastar engine so you would not have the same issue with the valves.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default mines ticked from the time i got it

23,000 miles no code has a slight sputter but they wont fix it till it codes out so I keep driving it
wish they would just recall the dam things seems every 12 goes at some point why not just fix it before it does damage , No they let you have to drive a new jeep that sounds like shit for years before it throws the code

Quick Reply: Check Engine Code Cylinder 6 Missfire