Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Popping noise/feeling turning slow speed

Old 12-18-2014, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping noise/feeling turning slow speed

When I am parked, or in parking lot- if i move my steering wheel at all to the left- I get a pop feeling and sound not too loud . I can see the tire skip a bit.

It is typically when jeep is completely straight and gets turned slightly left. Doesn't matter how slow or fast I turn wheel.

It does not make the noise at speed or even 10-15mph.

Any ideas?

I just got an alignment done and had some rear axle work done.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by cormac827
... I just got an alignment done and had some rear axle work done.
Are you saying this started after the alignment? First off, there are only a couple things that needed alignment on your essentially stock Jeep. Toe in and recenter steering wheel--about 15 minutes worth of work in your driveway with basic hand tools and one friend to help by holding a tape measure. And if either of those were out of spec, you may have some worn parts. But, any decent alignment shop would have told you about the usual suspects for the noise you describe: Loose/worn tie rod ends, balljoints, etc.

Regardless, I'd put that Jeep front end up on jackstands and start checking those things out. Check the bolts for the tie rod, drag link, trackbar, etc to ensure that they didn't loose something and fail to tighten it. Check also the front shocks to ensure that the top and bottom bolts are properly torqued down. If you don't have a torque wrench to check any of that, just put a wrench on each and ensure nothing feels too loose. And that tie rod and drag link need to be torqued down super-tight--if you can turn any of them with a combo wrench at all they're likely loose. Also be sure to check the turnbuckle on the drag link. It doesn't need to be super tight, but just ensure that it will not spin on its own. If you're not sure how to check balljoints and tie rod ends, check out some YouTube videos--there's plenty of info and these are easy driveway checks as long as you can get the Jeep wheels off the ground. Also, check your wheel lugnuts and ensure all of them are tight. You don't say you have aftermarket wheels, but if you do ensure that you pulled the assembly line clips off of each wheel lug. These will cause aftermarket wheels to not properly seat, thus loosening and breaking lugs. After that your wheel falls off.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 12-18-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Copy that. I'll check into that stuff.

I do have aftermarket wheels. Also have synergy ball joints which are newish. Axle is trussed with c-gussets as well, e-locker, 4.11 gearing. 33" dick cepeck mud crushers

I recently managed to bend my rear upper control arm, the axle housing etc. my rotor snapped in half and caught in wheel at speed.

Insurance covered damages/ and they were to do an alignment after dropping axle and taking of control arms etc. hopefully this weekend I can get it on jack stands and see what's up.

It is possibly this happened at the same time. Hoping it's just something lose.

Just cold wet and snowy here so tough to work on
Old 12-18-2014, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

I also have rubicon springs and shocks which gave me a good 2.5" lift
Old 12-19-2014, 11:05 AM
JK Super Freak

So- there is a little slip in the tie rod end, or joint. This moves so and down when turning- although this doesn't feel like it makes it Pop. I'll look into this more and see if that could be culprit.

Otherwise Possible ujoint?
Old 12-26-2014, 05:18 AM
JK Super Freak

So- there is a little slip in the tie rod end, or joint. This moves so and down when turning- although this doesn't feel like it makes it Pop. I'll look into this more and see if that could be culprit. Otherwise Possible ujoint?
I tightened everything up.

Sway bars were loose, steering stabilizer was tight but hardware not seated correctly.

Noise is still there. When put on jack stands(no load)- I can rotate wheel back and forth with no noise. Also shaking things around everything seemed solid.

Last night my esp went off while driving slowly and turning- so I think I am going to stop driving it now until I have a shop inspect.

Now I'm hoping it is as simple as a ujoint.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same exact issue only mine was turning to the right. My track bar was loose where it attaches to the axle. Tightened that up and haven't had any issues. You might want to check the bolt hole to be sure it's hasn't gotten worn out, if so a bigger bolt may be needed.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ZCJeeper
I had the same exact issue only mine was turning to the right. My track bar was loose where it attaches to the axle. Tightened that up and haven't had any issues. You might want to check the bolt hole to be sure it's hasn't gotten worn out, if so a bigger bolt may be needed.
I appreciate the feeedback! Going to identify and check that again!
Old 12-27-2014, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

I appreciate the feeedback! Going to identify and check that again!
Checked again- steering stabilizer was a turn or two loose at the axle. I was able to tighten the Trackbar at the axle maybe half a turn.

After doing this noise and feeling is gone! So I guess I lucked out with something simple for once. Will keep an eye on it

The sway bar mount on my axle is bent a bit so they always loosen up on me
Old 03-24-2023, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZCJeeper
I wanted to share that, that appears to by my issue with this noise as well. The track bar was loose at the axle and it egged the hole

Quick Reply: Popping noise/feeling turning slow speed