Notices
Boating & Fishing General discussion forum regarding all forms of boating including motor boats, sailboats and all things fishing including fly fishing, deep sea fishing, fishing gear and great places to fish.

Fishing/small boat?

Old 05-11-2008, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fishing/small boat?

I know go to a boat forum but just like here (say tires or lifts) everyone has a preference and will argue among themselves when answering this type of question. I have looked at the boat type I want and it is a little more expensive than I first thought. I want a 17'-18' (I might go as small as 16') aluminum with a center console, 40 hsp (at least I don't need a lot of speed), trolling motor and that's it. I want a bare bones fishing machine. I like both fresh water rivers and lakes as well as saltwater rivers and flats. I also fish smaller waters and need something light weight to launch and load in them as well. I know this is the boat for me however at anywhere from $12,000-$18,000 new I can't do one now. Even with the pond out back I still want to fish elsewhere. I was thinking a small lightweight one man boat for now. We have a canoe but it and kayaks are out due to my size and some physical problems (sitting flat or lower than my knees I have a hard time getting up). This leaves those one man pontoons flyfisherman use, small jon boats, or those molded bass hunter boats. I am leaning towards the one man pontoon as I can find one big enough for me for not a lot, it would give me some excersize while fishing, and even though you get wet all it would take to stand up is get to where my feet touch bottom. I know the best thing would be wait and get the big boat but that would mean missing out on a summer of fishing. What do you guys think? Keep in mind I am 350#+ easy and am trying to lose weight (In fact in the past two years I have dropped 100#.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

I'd go for a 14' alumminum, with a 20hp tiller on the back, you should be able to pick one up for fairly cheap, maybe used??? Then sell it next year or whenever you upgrade. They really hold thier value so you won't loose money over the time you have it. Since mobility and other physical factors are an issue, I think you'd be a lot more comfterble in a "proper" boat.

I had a zodiac for a couple of years and although I loved it, great in the waves and stable as he11, it really did suck for a day of fishing, uncomfterble for a couple of twenty somethings!! I often borrowed my dad's 14' 20hp instead of taking mine........ but that's just my opinion.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mjolnir
I'd go for a 14' alumminum, with a 20hp tiller on the back, you should be able to pick one up for fairly cheap, maybe used??? Then sell it next year or whenever you upgrade. They really hold thier value so you won't loose money over the time you have it. Since mobility and other physical factors are an issue, I think you'd be a lot more comfterble in a "proper" boat.

I had a zodiac for a couple of years and although I loved it, great in the waves and stable as he11, it really did suck for a day of fishing, uncomfterble for a couple of twenty somethings!! I often borrowed my dad's 14' 20hp instead of taking mine........ but that's just my opinion.
Thanks for the advice. I have been considering just that. I saw a used one (a lot more affordable) close to what I want for sale the other day but I was hoping to get a new one especially in the engine department. Hopefully someone reads this that owns one of the smaller options and can comment on it. I should add that I plan on the larger boat anyway it's just I want something now I don't spend a lot on until I can get the larger boat.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a 17 slickcraft runabout, fiberglass, 90hp suzuki outboard fully restored from 1969 maybe selling this spring
Old 05-12-2008, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
i have a 17 slickcraft runabout, fiberglass, 90hp suzuki outboard fully restored from 1969 maybe selling this spring
I think he's going to need something a little larger, like a barge !
Old 05-12-2008, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
Would be nice but add in the cost of the boat and the cost of gas to go get it and I might as well get a new one here because they will finance that. I am sure you will get a buyer though as a lot of folks like those older boats.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well it sounds to me you have good taste in boats. A 14ft'r around here is usually easy to come by for a good price if you look hard enough. And like was said before, it'd probably be easy to get your money back out of too.

I'll tell you from experience though, if you go w/an 18' I'd get at least a 50hp. If it were much slower I don't think I'd like it but the 50 is just fine for where I fish. I also fish saltwater flats, fresh water lakes and fish rivers too. It's just about the perfect boat for me.

Good luck.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got what you may be looking for but I'm in TN. My dad has cancer and cant use his boat any longer and wants to see it get some good use. Its a 14 or 16 ft. I'm not sure which. It has a 25 or 35 horse johnson on back. The trailer needs tires though. All he wants is $500. Not alot of money for some fun on the water. PM if interested, and if not ,then good luck anyway finding what you want. Boaters, Bikers, and Jeepers-- wave at someone else and they look at you like your an idiot.

Quick Reply: Fishing/small boat?