Notices
Cooking & Grilling General discussion forum regarding kitchen cooking and BAR-B-Q Grilling.
View Poll Results: charcoal or gas
charcoal
68.66%
propane
29.10%
natural gas
2.24%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

charcoal or gas

Old 04-20-2012, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Venison loaf on Primo XL with lump charcoal. Awesome taste!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3576820562.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	306874   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-522675607.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	306876  
Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I couldnt decice between the two on my first grill purchase as ive never had the chance to grill. Picked up a Charbroil Duo (gas and charcoal) for $200 and i love it.
I love the ease and quickness of the gas, but love the taste on the charcoal. Usually only use the charcoal for ribs and steaks, and use the gas for burgers and hotdogs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	51YUW5dKh4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	306898   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	306899  

Last edited by Croce; 04-20-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gas is convenient, charcoal is better.

Gas, be it natural gas or propane, gives off up to 10% water vapor as it burns. Charcoal does not. This water vapor means that gas flame will not allow sugars to caramelize, (sugar only caramelizes in the absence of water), as efficiently as drier heat charcoal will allow. Charcoal also contributes a small amount of flavor but not much. It should not contribute flavor unless u r adding wood (not charcoal) to ur fire. Wood provides smoke which equals flavor. As far as lighter fluid goes, i personally avoid it, but it's a matter of convenience. If u properly allow coals to burn down to where ur supposed to cook on them the residual chemicals from the lighter fluid will be pretty much a non-factor.
Fyi coals should burn down for approximately 30 minutes before u cook on them. You should not cook on coals that have flames coming off of them, they should be ashed over and glowing red in places. If your coals have burned down and there is still flame u either have put too many coals or you should move your grill/grate surface farther from the heat.

Also there is a basic difference between grilling and barbecuing. Grilling is over direct heat (which is everything iv explained above) and bbq'ing is indirect heat slow cooking. For bbq'ing gas is perfectly suitable but u need to add wood chips for true smoke. The gas provides the heat, the wood chips provide the smoke/flavor. I personally do my cooking over wood/charcoal whenever possible. I dont like gas and try to avoid using it at all costs for either bbq'ing or grilling.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! There is nothing like a piece of chicken that has fallen through the grill and get coated with charcoal. MMMMMMM tasty!

Quick Reply: charcoal or gas