Notices
European Countries If you live in Europe and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Any JK owners from the UK

Old 04-01-2009, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any JK owners from the UK

Are there any members from the UK?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

There are a few of us around. Where are you based?

Nick
Old 04-05-2009, 01:28 AM
JK Newbie

I am based near East Grinstead about 10 mins from Gatwick Airport and work in South London.

What about you?
Old 04-05-2009, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nr Bromsgrove between Worcester and Birmingham. A friend who lives about 15 miles away has an 4dr Sahara too. We are both pretty heavily in to offroading having buggies that we use for winch challenge events. Only recently had my Rubicon and still in the process of carrying out various modifications. When complete It will get used on events such as the Cevenol in France and various forays here.

Nick
Old 04-05-2009, 09:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im up in scotland. currently looking into a complete setup shipped from usa but im gonna wait for exchange rate to get betta first
btw nick p have u ordered the aev front bumper? where from? i asked surrey offroad and they said that it was now illegal in the uk due to new pedestrain laws?
Old 04-05-2009, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scotlandjk
im up in scotland. currently looking into a complete setup shipped from usa but im gonna wait for exchange rate to get betta first
btw nick p have u ordered the aev front bumper? where from? i asked surrey offroad and they said that it was now illegal in the uk due to new pedestrain laws?
Direct from AEV. I'm hoping It will arrive this month!

I hear the're going to ban breathing shortly!

Seriously, my understanding is that the old style metal bolt on bull bars are illegal, but winch bumpers fitted to the front of the vehicle are ok. L/Rover have factory options available for the Discovery etc. It may be that the hoop puts it outside the law but I don't think so. At work we have fitted similar winch bumpers to new Defeders, Suzuki Jimnys, FJ Cruisers etc never had any negative feedback. Definitely clear it with your insurance company first though!

Nick

Last edited by nick p; 04-05-2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelin
Old 04-06-2009, 01:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cheers. yeh i thnik im gonna wait for aev to release their rear bumper and 4.5" lift so i can buy a bulk package and the shippment wont be as much. i might just ignore the bull bar issue. anyways my jeep is an 07 model and think that the law only came in at the end of 2008. that'll be my excuse what do insurance company's make of lifting/modding jeeps here, is it a big deal or not.
do you have the 2dr rubicon petrol model? i was looking at one of those but i rele wanted a 4dr. shame they didnt release a 4dr rubi model over here.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

do you buy most of the upgrade in the states and ship them over?

Shame the exchange rate is so crap at present?

Where do you buy from? Presumably via the web. Be good to get some of the sites you use.

I have had a look at Quadratec who appear to ship to the UK.

Be interested to get some feedback from someone who has already brought some upgrades in from the US. Find out what the pitfalls are if any.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yep 2dr.

I think the main thing with any mod is to keep the insurance company informed. I have never run a lifted jeep before but have plenty of other lifted 4WDs. There may be a small premium but you have cover and piece of mind.

It will be interesting to see the much anticipated AEV rear bumper!

Nick
Old 04-06-2009, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by limey
do you buy most of the upgrade in the states and ship them over?

Shame the exchange rate is so crap at present?

Where do you buy from? Presumably via the web. Be good to get some of the sites you use.

I have had a look at Quadratec who appear to ship to the UK.

Be interested to get some feedback from someone who has already brought some upgrades in from the US. Find out what the pitfalls are if any.
I've ordered direct from AEV.

My mate has ordered from Northridge.

I'm going to try Terraflex shortly.

If your interested in anything by Rough Country I can give you the UK dealers number who will definately sort stuff out for you.

I'm lucky in that another good friend does a fair amount of work in Canada so will bring Jeep/Mopar items back at bargain prices.

Nick

Quick Reply: Any JK owners from the UK