Notices
European Countries If you live in Europe and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Has anyone chipped or boosted their CRD?

Old 09-17-2011, 12:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Odin
My local shop will also reset it to stock if needed, at no cost.
Price 7000NOk-approx 850 euros.
Yes, but then you'll need to re-map it again afterwards. With the Tunit box you just plug it back in. Simples!
Old 09-17-2011, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrangler07
If you mean TFT (Transmission Fluid Temperature) then yes as long as your JK is able to provide that info.
From what I have gathered people are struggling to get the TFT info on the scanguage. If you have an auto then you can get it with an airforce interceptor gauge but think scanguage are still working on the codes. As far as I am aware 6 speeds don't have a TFT sensor?
Old 09-17-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scotlandjk
From what I have gathered people are struggling to get the TFT info on the scanguage. If you have an auto then you can get it with an airforce interceptor gauge but think scanguage are still working on the codes. As far as I am aware 6 speeds don't have a TFT sensor?
TBH, I've not yet looked, so not sure, mate.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bother insisting, but can you elaborate further on Aeroforce getting this function working on their Interceptor gauge? I am ready to pull the trigger on a Tunit + Scangauge combo, and I need to confirm by end of this week to have a work colleague bring them to me in couple of weeks (can't wait! ), but this gives me some doubts ...
I might go with the selected combo anyway and wait for an update ...
Old 09-22-2011, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by leolito
Sorry to bother insisting, but can you elaborate further on Aeroforce getting this function working on their Interceptor gauge? I am ready to pull the trigger on a Tunit + Scangauge combo, and I need to confirm by end of this week to have a work colleague bring them to me in couple of weeks (can't wait! ), but this gives me some doubts ...
I might go with the selected combo anyway and wait for an update ...
TBH I would have to read up on it as I cannot remember the specifics. If you try on the ausjeep forum they are more familiar with the CRD's and a few have the aeroforce, so would be able to tell you for sure.

Dom
Old 09-23-2011, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Will check.
In the meantime I ordered the Tunit yesterday .... can't wait!
Old 09-24-2011, 04:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default CRD remap

Hi all,

Thanks for all the input and suggestions since the start of this thread.

After looking at all the options I decided against a "plug-in" box, mostly because of hearing of issues with Tunits putting throwing up engine error codes. This is something I want to avoid, and reinforces my paranoia that "plug-ins" simply increase the fuelling and may not have been developed specifically for the JK.

As it happened I bumped into an old friend from my days of messing with Landrovers and he reminded me of a chap called Jeremy Fern. Jeremy has had an excellent reputation for the last 20 or so years for tuning and latterly re-mapping Landrover diesels. I gave him a call and he had written a program for a 2007 CRD JK last November. He put me in touch with the guy he did it for and he has not had any issues with it since it was done (except doing a 180 spin on a wet roundabout just after)

So I went to see Jeremy on Friday. Half an hour later he'd finished loading the remap to mine. I've only done about 300 miles since, but I am impressed

It has removed all the hesitation when you put your foot down, from a rolling start or from a standstill. It holds a higher gear for longer before kicking down, and when it does need to rev to 3500/4000 it now has power all the way rather than before when it just made lots of noise for no apparent increase in speed. Accellerating on the motorway from 70 to 90 is now a pleasure rather than a but-clenching excercise.

I'll feedback on fuel consumption when I've done a few more miles, and also any impact on low-box use. Overall I'd fully recommend Jeremy to anyone.

Cheers,

Giles
Old 09-24-2011, 10:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by snowibex
Hi all,

Thanks for all the input and suggestions since the start of this thread.

After looking at all the options I decided against a "plug-in" box, mostly because of hearing of issues with Tunits putting throwing up engine error codes. This is something I want to avoid, and reinforces my paranoia that "plug-ins" simply increase the fuelling and may not have been developed specifically for the JK.

As it happened I bumped into an old friend from my days of messing with Landrovers and he reminded me of a chap called Jeremy Fern. Jeremy has had an excellent reputation for the last 20 or so years for tuning and latterly re-mapping Landrover diesels. I gave him a call and he had written a program for a 2007 CRD JK last November. He put me in touch with the guy he did it for and he has not had any issues with it since it was done (except doing a 180 spin on a wet roundabout just after)

So I went to see Jeremy on Friday. Half an hour later he'd finished loading the remap to mine. I've only done about 300 miles since, but I am impressed

It has removed all the hesitation when you put your foot down, from a rolling start or from a standstill. It holds a higher gear for longer before kicking down, and when it does need to rev to 3500/4000 it now has power all the way rather than before when it just made lots of noise for no apparent increase in speed. Accellerating on the motorway from 70 to 90 is now a pleasure rather than a but-clenching excercise.

I'll feedback on fuel consumption when I've done a few more miles, and also any impact on low-box use. Overall I'd fully recommend Jeremy to anyone.

Cheers,

Giles
Good to hear, especially about the throttle hesitation; I can't stand the 'lag' of the pedal. Do you know if it is for the 6speed aswell? I am out of warranty so it doesn't really matter to me if I can easily take it out. Was it about the same price as a tunit box?

Keep us updated.

Cheers

Dom
Old 09-25-2011, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scotlandjk
Good to hear, especially about the throttle hesitation; I can't stand the 'lag' of the pedal. Do you know if it is for the 6speed aswell? I am out of warranty so it doesn't really matter to me if I can easily take it out. Was it about the same price as a tunit box?

Keep us updated.

Cheers

Dom
Hi Dom,

I see no real reason why it would not work for the 6-speed too.

Jeremy downloads the ecu settings from your car to get the tune code your car is running. Mine happened to be the same code as he had previously done so it was a simple matter of re-loading up his modified map. If it had not been the same code (and I imagine an auto might run a different tune code to a manual) then he would have written me a custom map. It would still be done while you wait, but would have taken 2-3 hours rather than the 15 minutes mine took.

I've done a round-trip of just over 200 miles today, even mix of motorway, A and B roads. Just worked out it's averaged 25.6mpg compared to my old average of 21.4mpg. I'll be back to commuting tomorrow, so I'll log the mpg over the next couple of weeks/tanks. I do 350 miles per week usually.

Oh, cost was £450 plus drat (and an afternoon out in the peak district).

Giles
Old 09-25-2011, 01:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by snowibex
Hi Dom,

I see no real reason why it would not work for the 6-speed too.

Jeremy downloads the ecu settings from your car to get the tune code your car is running. Mine happened to be the same code as he had previously done so it was a simple matter of re-loading up his modified map. If it had not been the same code (and I imagine an auto might run a different tune code to a manual) then he would have written me a custom map. It would still be done while you wait, but would have taken 2-3 hours rather than the 15 minutes mine took.

I've done a round-trip of just over 200 miles today, even mix of motorway, A and B roads. Just worked out it's averaged 25.6mpg compared to my old average of 21.4mpg. I'll be back to commuting tomorrow, so I'll log the mpg over the next couple of weeks/tanks. I do 350 miles per week usually.

Oh, cost was £450 plus drat (and an afternoon out in the peak district).

Giles
Cheers for the info. I am rather busy at the moment but when I get time off, either Xmas or even next summer, I will get something done about it.

Dominic

Quick Reply: Has anyone chipped or boosted their CRD?