Notices
European Countries If you live in Europe and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Laws In Germany

Old 06-19-2010, 12:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

test it than tell it
Old 07-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Woody
What about going door less in Germany? wanna get out with nothing on just want to know the legality of such.
Here is the deal, to the best of my understanding. You can ride doorless. There is no Strassenverkehrsordnung (traffic law) that prohibits it. But, make sure you wear your seat belt, for lots of reasons. There is, however, a TUV regulation that requires you to have something that retains you in the vehicle, i.e. doors, chains, tube doors, etc. So, most people will have chains for the doors in the vehicle because it is a TUV required item, but there is no requirement to put them on while driving. There is also no law requiring you to close your door while driving. I drive without doors in Germany all the time. I don't use chains or even have them, and I have never had a problem, though my JK doesn't have to go through the TUV either.

Just a quick note on the TUV because I just read what Hiball wrote. Yes, the idea behind it is probably good, but limits people in the freedom of what they can do with their vehicles. I understand the idea of safety for everyone, but, at the same time, I am totally opposed to helmet laws for motorcycles, though I won't ride mine without one. Same deal on seat belts and car seats for kids. Now, all of that is personal safety. Not wearing a helmet probably won't hurt someone else, but putting bad parts on your car could result in an accident injuring someone else. I agree that this aspect of safety is important, however, the way the TUV implements things that have nothing to do with safety, along with the number of untrained and corrupt TUV personnel, it really has very little to do with safety anymore, and it has become more of an income source for both the government and the workers who are corrupt. I promise you, I can get a truly unsafe car through the TUV, but trying to get my mechanically sound Harley with really loud pipes though is a nightmare. Sorry for the hijack, but I had to respond.

Quick Reply: Laws In Germany