Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

New Mexico

Old 03-18-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woo Hoo! Utah Goose is comin' to Durango! Hope we get the chance to explore some trails.

I like a small town kind of place so Durango, Bayfield really works for me. Stay away from Ignacio though. There are five dealerships here and a couple of auto body joints. The town of Bayfield has the best schools around.

Grand Junction might not be a bad place for you. You should look into that.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seer1
Woo Hoo! Utah Goose is comin' to Durango! Hope we get the chance to explore some trails.
You can count on it.

This weekend is going to be a whirlwind trip, and we're in my wife's Subaru , but come June, I'm all set to go.
Now we have that pesky issue of finding a place to live and a place for her to work.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:20 PM
JK Super Freak

I think Durango is a great place! We've been there many times and I wouldn't mind living there myself. Pagosa Springs is nearby and is nice too but I like Durango best. Endless things to do there. If you go there to explore, try to find time to ride the Silverton/Durango Steam Train. Awesome ride! The colored leaves in the Fall are fantastic! I like Prescott if I was to live in Arizona but Durango is my all time favorite place (second only to Jackson Hole, of course.)
Old 01-01-2009, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I contacted the Durango Chamber of Commerce and they sent me all kinds of information plus gave my address to every realtor in town so I recieved a deluge of mail. Looks like a pretty decent area and the weather looks good as well. Any members here who actually live in the actual Durango area? Also, please if you are a moderator and read this could you move this thread to the 4 corners area?
Old 01-01-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
I contacted the Durango Chamber of Commerce and they sent me all kinds of information plus gave my address to every realtor in town so I recieved a deluge of mail. Looks like a pretty decent area and the weather looks good as well. Any members here who actually live in the actual Durango area? Also, please if you are a moderator and read this could you move this thread to the 4 corners area?
If you like to fish, you will LOVE Durango. The Animas River runs right thru town. When the caddis flies hatch in the summer, the fishing is downright amazing. Take it from a redneck Texas boy who has fished and floated the Animas several times....you want to fish the river. That would be a big bonus for me to move there......

http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/animas.html
Old 01-01-2009, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

I fish once in a while so that sounds cool but I'm really interested in what the quality of life is like in the area. Stuff like how are the schools, whats the crime rate like, is there a depressed area with white trash tweakers and are there transients wandering the streets? My Auto Body trade also depends on a affluent demographic as well.

From what I can tell the weather is great in the Durango area. 300+ days of sunshine, very short snow season and it rarely gets over 90 in the summer. Maybe someone who who is a current or former resident can give me the pros and cons...
Old 01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in santa fe. Like it better then alot of the other places i have been to. I have not been to Durango so i cant say anything about that, but wanted to mention santa fe since it hasnt really been talked about
Old 03-16-2009, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

I fish once in a while so that sounds cool but I'm really interested in what the quality of life is like in the area. Stuff like how are the schools, whats the crime rate like, is there a depressed area with white trash tweakers and are there transients wandering the streets? My Auto Body trade also depends on a affluent demographic as well.

From what I can tell the weather is great in the Durango area. 300+ days of sunshine, very short snow season and it rarely gets over 90 in the summer. Maybe someone who who is a current or former resident can give me the pros and cons...
Can anyone comment on this?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

Native Oregonian looking to move to a state that has better weather than Oregon (imagine 45 days of non-stop rain with the temperature hovering right around 35 F) in the next few years. Did a lot of reading and came up with New Mexico. Anyone here from New Mexico, say the northern part? Maybe you can tell me some pros and cons. I've lived all over California but its too nasty there but I would also consider northern Arizona. I'm an Auto Body Tech and I have 2 school age kids so I kinda have to live in or near a populated area as well with good schools. Also, wife is a software engineer so maybe I sould consider if an area has any high tech companies.

If you want to know about northern NM, pm shredX, he has lived in Taos for the last couple of years. He will have a good idea about the economy and surrounding area there. He moved there from Albuquerque area and has a business set up in Taos.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Also, you might consider Grand Junction. The weather there is very similar to Albuquerque, NM, and it seemed like a very nice city on my last visit. It is also within short driving range of Moab, SW Colorado with the San Juan mountains, and middle of Colorado with plenty of recreational areas and off road possibilities.

If I ever moved from Albuquerque, I would consider Grand Junction first.

Quick Reply: New Mexico