Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

South Fork, CO Aug 1st - headed to Ouray for a day or 2

Old 07-24-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with AZ Oulaws that none of the 4wd roads where you're going need a lift, certainly not for a JK, even a 4 door.

Going from Creede to Silverton via Stony Pass is a beautiful drive, too. You'll have to keep it in 4L through Timber Hill until you cross Pole Creek, but it's pretty easy otherwise. Even Timber Hill's easy if you go slow: our friend made it up in his big ole pickup truck and only had to back up 3 or 4 times:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snookerdoodle/3728836202/

Mark
Old 07-27-2009, 06:22 PM
KEY
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by snookerdoodle
I agree with AZ Oulaws that none of the 4wd roads where you're going need a lift, certainly not for a JK, even a 4 door.

Going from Creede to Silverton via Stony Pass is a beautiful drive, too. You'll have to keep it in 4L through Timber Hill until you cross Pole Creek, but it's pretty easy otherwise. Even Timber Hill's easy if you go slow: our friend made it up in his big ole pickup truck and only had to back up 3 or 4 times:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snookerdoodle/3728836202/

Mark
Thanks for the info, but we lifted his JK this weekend 3" suspension. He has put on 315/75/16s and we roll out on Sat from TX. I told him that stock would be ok, but he couldn't help it. I hear Stony Pass is a great drive too. I want to head from Lake City via Engineer Pass to Ouray stay the night there, and hit Poughkeepsie Gulch. I also want to throw a fly or two in the water when the opportunity arises.

Does anyone know of a nice hotel to stay at in Ouray?
Thanks!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by KEY
Thanks for the info, but we lifted his JK this weekend 3" suspension. He has put on 315/75/16s and we roll out on Sat from TX. I told him that stock would be ok, but he couldn't help it. I hear Stony Pass is a great drive too. I want to head from Lake City via Engineer Pass to Ouray stay the night there, and hit Poughkeepsie Gulch. I also want to throw a fly or two in the water when the opportunity arises.

Does anyone know of a nice hotel to stay at in Ouray?
Thanks!
Stony pass is a good one however, be prepared for 5-7 miles of bowling balls
Old 07-28-2009, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like it's JK season in the San Juan's! We get there on the 8th, staying for a week. Looking forward to several days on the trails, and some time for throwing a fly. Not sure how many trails my wife will agree to go on, though. She's already offered some warnings. I keep trying to convince her it's no big deal, so we'll see.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:34 PM
KEY
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by notenuftoys
Sounds like it's JK season in the San Juan's! We get there on the 8th, staying for a week. Looking forward to several days on the trails, and some time for throwing a fly. Not sure how many trails my wife will agree to go on, though. She's already offered some warnings. I keep trying to convince her it's no big deal, so we'll see.
I too have been warned, but a glass of wine or two will help her out! Headed to South Fork, CO in 30.5 hours, not that I'm counting! I have to go in the office for a bit in the morning, then come home and pack.
So far on my packing list I have:
-Wife
- JK
- toothbrush

Am I forgetting anything?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KEY
I too have been warned, but a glass of wine or two will help her out! Headed to South Fork, CO in 30.5 hours, not that I'm counting! I have to go in the office for a bit in the morning, then come home and pack.
So far on my packing list I have:
-Wife
- JK
- toothbrush

Am I forgetting anything?
Toothpaste. And maybe a case of wine for your wife. Sadly I'm still 170 hours away from leaving the house. Then it's about 16 hours of driving.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:42 AM
KEY
JK Newbie

Yesterday, we come up from South Fork to Lake City on Hwy 149. Then went over Cinnamon Pass. From there we took Mineral Creek down. We had a great time. This morning, we are going to take Engineer Pass back to Lake City and back to South Fork for some fly fishing.

Jason, sorry I didn't give you a call. The wife said Mineral Creek as difficult enough. Next time up, I'll bring some buddys!

Quick Reply: South Fork, CO Aug 1st - headed to Ouray for a day or 2