Notices
GPS & Geocaching If you're looking for information regarding GPS or are interested in Geocaching, this is the forum for you.

Garmin Nuvi GPS questions

Old 11-20-2007, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin Nuvi GPS questions

Does the Nuvi series GPS do topo type maps? I already have a first gen GPS 60CS, but I am looking for a Nuvi style GPS that does both street and topo maps. I really like the mounting style and features of the Nuvi's, just hope they will do topo maps.

Anyone know or have any recommendations?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check out Garmin's website...
Old 11-20-2007, 06:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by matthew2000tx
Check out Garmin's website...
Thanks buddy.

I was kind of hoping for some real world reviews, not advertisement. Besides I have checked it out and it does not say anything about it so I guess they don't do topo well.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ctimrun
Thanks buddy.

I was kind of hoping for some real world reviews, not advertisement. Besides I have checked it out and it does not say anything about it so I guess they don't do topo well.
Nah, your first question was whether or not it did them. Not how well, or if anyone has any experience with it.
Trust me, the GPS forums would have a lot more information on them about this than this forum would.
I'm waiting for the magellan that does radar maps with XM myself.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Does the Nuvi series GPS do topo type maps? I already have a first gen GPS 60CS, but I am looking for a Nuvi style GPS that does both street and topo maps. I really like the mounting style and features of the Nuvi's, just hope they will do topo maps.

Anyone know or have any recommendations?
No, the Nuvis don't do topo maps.

I have the Nuvi 660 as my regular GPS and MP3 player, and bring along the 76CSx whenever I go out on the trails (it's also my canoe-camping GPS). The Nuvi doesn't record tracks or take routes downloaded from MapSource, where-as the 76CSx does. Recording tracks is nice since Map Source can send them to Google Earth and you can do stuff like this (install Google Earth before clicking):

http://public.mvlan.net/content/Jeep...ep%20Trail.kmz

js.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
No, the Nuvis don't do topo maps.
Not entirely true... I contacted Garmin's support when I was considering a Nuvi 360. They will load the Topo maps, but certain features will not be available. I'll see if I can dig up the email. I remember one unsupported feature was elevation over time. Also text to speech obviously would not work (duh, most of roads don't have names!).

Still, might be worth it for occasional use.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

if the nuvis work similar to the quest, then you should be able to load topo maps.
tracback (breadcrumbing) is another feature that might be there.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks buddy.

I thought you were just asking the specific feature of the GPS systems...not a review.

Quick Reply: Garmin Nuvi GPS questions