Notices
GPS & Geocaching If you're looking for information regarding GPS or are interested in Geocaching, this is the forum for you.

Opinions on the Garmin "Oregon" line of GPS

Old 01-12-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on the Garmin "Oregon" line of GPS

Any one got opinions on this line of Garmin GPS hand helds? On the market for a GPS and want to hear what people have to say.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Garmin Oregon 550. It sweet man. Touch screen works very well. It is very simple to calibrate, and the camera takes sweet pictures. Having the camera built was the deciding factor for me.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Serg5000
I have the Garmin Oregon 550. It sweet man. Touch screen works very well. It is very simple to calibrate, and the camera takes sweet pictures. Having the camera built was the deciding factor for me.
Good to hear that, cause that is the one im looking at.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Jedi

I'd looked at these before but not deep enough. How good are the pictures taken with the built in camera? Main reason I was interested was because of the geo-tagging functionality on the pictures.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by saravonshep
Good to hear that, cause that is the one im looking at.
Spend the extra few bucks and get the 550T. This way it will come with topo maps loaded already.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Spend the extra few bucks and get the 550T. This way it will come with topo maps loaded already.
That is the one im gonna get, 550T. I just wanted to get some other peoples opinion on it. My father in law uses this one as well.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
How good are the pictures taken with the built in camera? Main reason I was interested was because of the geo-tagging functionality on the pictures.
The pictures come out great. I was impressed with how nice they come out. I take it with me every were just incase I need to mark a waypoint or take a picture.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
JK Junkie

From what I was told at REI, you are better off to buy the 550 (cheaper) and buy the topo maps from Garmin for the area that you wheel the most. For example, buy the West coast 24 topo map. These maps have much more detail then the total US topo 100 map that comes on the 550T. When you buy the map you also get the DVD and you load it on your computer. This comes with the Base camp software that lets you find and plan your routes, then up load to your Oregon. You can always purchase additional maps for the other areas of the country that you need. These also have more detail then the map that comes on the 550T.

If you are looking for a GPS that you can use on the road (small screen and not easy to see it in bright sunlight) you probably should get a different unit. The Oregon does a decent job on the highway but, its main features are more suited for hiking trails, off-roading and geocaching. It will get you there but, other highway specific GPS's have many more functions to make your on road traveling easier.

Moochie

Last edited by Moochie; 01-12-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-12-2011, 08:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Moochie
From what I was told at REI, you are better off to buy the 550 (cheaper) and buy the topo maps from Garmin for the area that you wheel the most. For example, buy the West coast 24 topo map. These maps have much more detail then the total US topo 100 map that comes on the 550T. When you buy the map you also get the DVD and you load it on your computer. This comes with the Base camp software that lets you find and plan your routes, then up load to your Oregon. You can always purchase additional maps for the other areas of the country that you need. These also have more detail then the map that comes on the 550T.

If you are looking for a GPS that you can use on the road (small screen and not easy to see it in bright sunlight) you probably should get a different unit. The Oregon does a decent job on the highway but, its main features are more suited for hiking trails, off-roading and geocaching. It will get you there but, other highway specific GPS's have many more functions to make your on road traveling easier.

Moochie
Hiking trails, off roading and geocaching are what id be using this for. Also marking good fishing holes while on charter boats or pangas south of the border. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Moochie; 01-12-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-12-2011, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

Looks like a good investment for the trails.

Quick Reply: Opinions on the Garmin "Oregon" line of GPS