Notices
Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler Overall Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes all Jeep Wranglers made between 1987-2006 and includes models such as the Unlimited, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport and X.

Cracked Exhaust Manifold

Old 12-06-2008, 01:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about the ZJ's or the XJ's, but from what I have heard it's a common
problem in the YJ's and TJ's with the inline 6 cylinder engines in them.

I haven't done it yet, but it's so common that I bet if you googled "Jeep Cracked Manifold" or something like that you would probably come up with tons of hits.

My theory is if it ain't broke don't fix it, especially if your on a buget
But if you want a little more power and a better sounding exhaust....then by all means...go for it!
Plus if you do it in school your teacher will probably give you extra credits

Last edited by CHOPPER; 12-06-2008 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had it happen to my 97 TJ, and I had it replaced with a Borla Header.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CHOPPER
I don't know about the ZJ's or the XJ's, but from what I have heard it's a common
problem in the YJ's and TJ's with the inline 6 cylinder engines in them.

I haven't done it yet, but it's so common that I bet if you googled "Jeep Cracked Manifold" or something like that you would probably come up with tons of hits.

My theory is if it ain't broke don't fix it, especially if your on a buget
But if you want a little more power and a better sounding exhaust....then by all means...go for it!
Plus if you do it in school your teacher will probably give you extra credits
haha yea i cant really afford a header right now but i can hear what sounds like an exhaust leak coming from under the hood, so if i can verify it as a problem i'll move it up on my list of things to purchase, and if i do get one then the plan is def to do it at school where it's nice and warm haha
Old 12-06-2008, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thefrohn
haha yea i cant really afford a header right now but i can hear what sounds like an exhaust leak coming from under the hood, so if i can verify it as a problem i'll move it up on my list of things to purchase, and if i do get one then the plan is def to do it at school where it's nice and warm haha
I sent you a private message
Did you get it?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CHOPPER
I sent you a private message
Did you get it?
yes sir i did, just responded, thanks for the heads up
Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

I just got a TJ with a cracked, nay, severly broken tub type hearer/manifold. I got a stainless header off EBAY. I save a bunch of money I think it was $125 plus s/h about $150 to the door with gaskets and exhaust doughnut. Took me about 2 plus hours to install. Already had the cleanup done ahead of time. I will be glad to send the email link or suppl;ier if anyone wants this header. Bolted right up, no issues, just lack of flexability to install.

Remember to clean all threads, coat bolts with anti-seize and retighten bolts after a couple of heat cycles to allow expansion and contraction.

Feel free to mail me mrjata@hotmail.com I am new to Jeeps but not to racing and streetrod building.

Wonderful forum!! Informative!!
Old 12-08-2008, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrjata
I just got a TJ with a cracked, nay, severly broken tub type hearer/manifold. I got a stainless header off EBAY. I save a bunch of money I think it was $125 plus s/h about $150 to the door with gaskets and exhaust doughnut. Took me about 2 plus hours to install. Already had the cleanup done ahead of time. I will be glad to send the email link or suppl;ier if anyone wants this header. Bolted right up, no issues, just lack of flexability to install.

Remember to clean all threads, coat bolts with anti-seize and retighten bolts after a couple of heat cycles to allow expansion and contraction.

Feel free to mail me mrjata@hotmail.com I am new to Jeeps but not to racing and streetrod building.

Wonderful forum!! Informative!!
sounds intriguing, i'd like that link please
Old 12-08-2008, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Default the header link off ebay

Here is the header I got off ebay. Great fit, good price and all gaskets needed. I made sure that it was really stainless and polished it. It is stainless for the mild steel price.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant...78_W0QQ_ipgZ50

Hope this helps,

d
Old 12-08-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, I have had the cracked manifold on the YJ. I replaced it with a stock one from the junkyard. Had to do some touch up welds on it to fix the cracks on it before I put it on, but it was a WAY cheap fix.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrjata
Here is the header I got off ebay. Great fit, good price and all gaskets needed. I made sure that it was really stainless and polished it. It is stainless for the mild steel price.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant...78_W0QQ_ipgZ50

Hope this helps,

d
thanks for the link, checked it out, looks as tho it's only 4.0s up to 99? is there a difference?
mine's an 04 which is why i ask

Quick Reply: Cracked Exhaust Manifold