Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

1977 Royce CB

Old 11-19-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1977 Royce CB

I have been wanting to install a CB in my jeep and I remembered I still had my father's 1977 Royce 1-678 40 channel CB. It has a cigarette lighter plug and it powered up Now all I need to find is a good antenna. Any recommendations? I remembered using this on road trips in the 80's. Does anyone know much about these radios? Would you guys trust a CB that is over 30 years old? The nice thing is it was Made in Japan! I hate buying Chinese sh!t. I will post more once I get an antenna.

MI-litaria
Old 11-20-2011, 11:01 AM
JK Jedi

In it's day Royce made a VERY good radio. I used to have one as well. It was because of that radio that I became a HAM radio operator. If it works....use it. It was made with quality components for it's time. Hopefully the mic still works. But don't key it until you have an antenna hooked up to it.

I am old school, and to me there is nothing out there than can compare to a 102" fiberglass or stainless steel whip. Yes they are big, but when it comes to antennas....bigger IS better. For awhile the Wilson 1000 was right up there with the 102" whip, but I've heard Wilson may be lacking in the quality construction dept. these days. The K40 was supposed to be a good antenna, but I never tried one. Many seem to like the Firesticks, but personally I wouldn't own one.

Last edited by AK4Dave; 11-20-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks AK4Dave / More Questions

Thanks for the input. I bought a cheap magnet mount antenna today and tested the CB on the interstate. I could receive very well but I believe my mike is bad. I did key the mike last night Did I burn it up? If so, what is a good replacement? I had forgotten how interesting truckers can be . Also, I believe I was picking up some short wave on some channels. One guy was talking about the weather in California. I will look for an 102" antenna.

Thanks again,

MI-litaria
Old 11-21-2011, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Most common is a firestik. If you're not going for distance they will be the best bet to keep your ability to go into parking structures and such. A lot of people mount them on the tire carrier or third brake light.

As far as mic, astatic is always a good bet and radio shack should have the mic connector if you can't find one already wired for your radio. Some google searching should yield the correct mic pinouts.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Default A couple of more question and Thanks for replies.

All,
I have a couple of more questions: When I key my mic the meter nearly pegs out. Does this mean my CB is transmitting? I have not gotten any returns when I ask for a mic check. Tonight I picked up someone in the Mojave Desert and in Tennessee. The sunspots are very active this year. I really hope this radio transmits. Is there any other way to check it out? The reception is great and I have alot fond memories of using it.

Thanks,

MI-litaria
Old 11-21-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Typically when you key the microphone the needle will move part way up the scale. When you talk the needle will move or "swing" with your voice.

Old Japanese made CB radios are king. I am an old school radio guy myself....unfortunately those big old radios don't fit well inside the JK's cab. The JK also doesn't lend itself to mounting a 102" whip. My antenna of choice would be a Hustler 54" whip.

Good luck with your setup!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by MI-litaria
Thanks for the input. I bought a cheap magnet mount antenna today and tested the CB on the interstate. I could receive very well but I believe my mike is bad. I did key the mike last night Did I burn it up? If so, what is a good replacement? I had forgotten how interesting truckers can be . Also, I believe I was picking up some short wave on some channels. One guy was talking about the weather in California. I will look for an 102" antenna.

Thanks again,

MI-litaria
You got my reply to your pm didn't ya? I hope you're still not keying the mic with no antenna. Did you see any needle swing when you talked into the mic? There's always that "chance" you fried your radio by doing that the first time. But I've seen a lot of radios that can take it a couple times. Yes....you will hear dx stations from all over now the the solar cycle is nearing it's peak.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up Thanks for your help! AL4Dave - a couple of more ????s

AK4Dave,
Yes, I received your PMs. THANKS Yes, I wonder how I survived the 70s also, I tried my CB (w/antenna) again tonight and when I key/talk into the mic the needle does move with my words. I am guessing the mic works. Now, I just need to see if it is transmitting. I have been looking at the old CBs on eBay and they are getting good prices for them. If I buy a mobile 10meter w/AM and SSB can I use the CB/SSB until I get a FCC license?

OH9JK - I agree the old Japanese radios are the best. Merlin75 - Thanks for your suggestions.

10-4 Good buddies

Last edited by MI-litaria; 11-22-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

AK4Dave,
If I buy a mobile 10meter w/AM and SSB can I use the CB/SSB until I get a FCC license?
yes you can
Old 11-22-2011, 06:04 PM
JK Jedi

AK4Dave,
Yes, I received your PMs. THANKS Yes, I wonder how I survived the 70s also, I tried my CB (w/antenna) again tonight and when I key/talk into the mic the needle does move with my words. I am guessing the mic works. Now, I just need to see if it is transmitting. I have been looking at the old CBs on eBay and they are getting good prices for them. If I buy a mobile 10meter w/AM and SSB can I use the CB/SSB until I get a FCC license?

OH9JK - I agree the old Japanese radios are the best. Merlin75 - Thanks for your suggestions.

10-4 Good buddies
Actually a "legal" 10m HAM radio will not have the CB freqs. in it. Well....I shouldn't say that, they are there but the radio has to be modified (easily) to be able to use them. And no.....you cannot "legally" use a 10m HAM radio to "transmit" on the CB freqs. Anybody can own, and use a HAM radio to "listen" on. But it's the transmitting that is illegal unless you have the license.

Quick Reply: 1977 Royce CB