Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Combo Scanner/CB with detachable faceplate

Old 03-09-2007, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Combo Scanner/CB with detachable faceplate

Sounds like a tall order, no? Well Uniden makes the UH015sx for the New Zealand and Australian markets. Word from Uniden USA is "No, we don't sell that in the US" ... which is exactly what I expected them to say. This thing is slick IMHO...

http://www.uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_uh015sx_index.asp

some features...
- Detachable Display Unit
- Transmit & Receive FM 40CH (UHF-CB, TX Power 5W)
- Wide Band Scanner (400MHz - 512MHz)
- Band Search Function (5 Bands separately)
- Duplex Capability (from CH01 - CH08)

Where I am weak is the specs for the frequency ranges/bands ... are these ideal/compatible for the US of A? If so I would attempt to bring one over. I actually don't care too much if the scanner range is limited ... although it appears to be severely limited. What ranges/bands should I be looking for?

Finally ... does anyone know of any alternatives out there?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mbanik
Sounds like a tall order, no? Well Uniden makes the UH015sx for the New Zealand and Australian markets. Word from Uniden USA is "No, we don't sell that in the US" ... which is exactly what I expected them to say. This thing is slick IMHO...

http://www.uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_uh015sx_index.asp

some features...
- Detachable Display Unit
- Transmit & Receive FM 40CH (UHF-CB, TX Power 5W)
- Wide Band Scanner (400MHz - 512MHz)
- Band Search Function (5 Bands separately)
- Duplex Capability (from CH01 - CH08)

Where I am weak is the specs for the frequency ranges/bands ... are these ideal/compatible for the US of A? If so I would attempt to bring one over. I actually don't care too much if the scanner range is limited ... although it appears to be severely limited. What ranges/bands should I be looking for?

Finally ... does anyone know of any alternatives out there?
nice! This would work well for my project. based on the description it sounds like it would work..but I'd be interested to know for sure.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Default yes yes...

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
nice! This would work well for my project. based on the description it sounds like it would work..but I'd be interested to know for sure.
I saw you thread and I thought of this unit... If I can't get something like this I will be going your route but I'll be using a Uniden Pro 520XL, a Bearcat BC350C and a Blaupunkt Hamburg MP57 ... I do not want navigation ... I still prefere a map and compass ... ha ha.

The trick will be making the 520XL and BC350C removable for safe keeping ... a nice custom fab challenge... especially working in 2 channel mixer for the scanner / CB audio ...

Last edited by mbanik; 03-09-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:07 PM
JK Jedi

I saw you thread and I thought of this unit... If I can't get something like this I will be going your route but I'll be using a Uniden Pro 520XL, a Bearcat BC350C and a Blaupunkt Hamburg MP57 ... I do not want navigation ... I still prefere a map and compass ... ha ha.

The trick will be making the 520XL and BC350C removable for safe keeping ... a nice custom fab challenge... especially working in 2 channel mixer for the scanner / CB audio ...
Yep..indeed a challenge. I still have a lot of ideas swirling around on how to handle the mixing. I've been looking around this evening for other cb/scanner combos but can't find any.

I'm also looking at handheld scanners with DC input...thinking maybe I could tear one apart and build my own scanner.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:20 AM
JK Newbie

Default mix

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
Yep..indeed a challenge. I still have a lot of ideas swirling around on how to handle the mixing. I've been looking around this evening for other cb/scanner combos but can't find any.

I'm also looking at handheld scanners with DC input...thinking maybe I could tear one apart and build my own scanner.

nice ... another good route to consider ... repackaging electronics is a good time...

I'm gonna work up a schematic for the mixer this week ... basically a simple DJ crossfader... full left is CB 100% ... full right is scanner 100% ... middle is 50/50. I think that will get it done...
Old 03-10-2007, 08:47 AM
JK Jedi

nice ... another good route to consider ... repackaging electronics is a good time...

I'm gonna work up a schematic for the mixer this week ... basically a simple DJ crossfader... full left is CB 100% ... full right is scanner 100% ... middle is 50/50. I think that will get it done...
Yeah, it would but it wouldn't have to be that complicated..probably could do just a rocker switch with 2 mono inputs and 1 mono output

maybe take the innards of something like this

then you could integrate video srcs as well.

edit: but then again, after thinking about it - the simplest way might be the best..so a mixer might really be the best way to handle that..then you could just mount a mixing knob.

Last edited by JackMac4; 03-10-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:33 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by MichaelW
FYI, the frequency range of the scanner on the combo scanner CB listed above is pretty small. The range is also a pretty unused portion of the spectrum for here in the US. Even if you got it, you wouldn't hear a lot.

There are some that have repackaged scanners for use in vehicles and you might want to check out www.radioreference.com for some hardcore scanner heads and some information on repackaging.

I have several scanners but just got the new Uniden digital with 6,000 channels in 500 dynamic memory banks. I do wish the head was separate but I can make it work in it's stock form.

I think there may already be some mixers for radios out on the market. May be easier and possibly cheaper than building your own. I haven't looked yet but I have heard of them and it's on my list.
Cool site. thanks for the heads up. now i have a lot of reading to do.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:12 AM
JK Jedi

Wow. After reading that site, I feel like a dummy. There are a lot of people using newer systems than I thought. My tax dollars at work I suppose. This changes all my plans, as it seems most of the communication I would want to scan here is unscannable/encrypted.

I'll just stick to a CB and FRS/GMRS
Old 03-15-2007, 03:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wouldn't work, CB freqs here in the US center around 27mHz which is VHF, they list the unit as UHF. Also most larger cities run trunk systems for police and fire. Nice unit though, we never get the good stuff over here...why is that?
Old 03-15-2007, 05:54 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by John L
Wouldn't work, CB freqs here in the US center around 27mHz which is VHF, they list the unit as UHF. Also most larger cities run trunk systems for police and fire. Nice unit though, we never get the good stuff over here...why is that?
Yeah it doesn't, and I've been looking for something in the US...but I couldn't find a single thing -- most likely due to your above statement regarding trunking systems...just seems nowadays scanning is a bit too complex to stuff into a little unit.

Quick Reply: Combo Scanner/CB with detachable faceplate