Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CoolTech CB Mount and Cobra 75WXST

Old 06-19-2007, 12:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CoolTech CB Mount and Cobra 75WXST

Anyone have any advice as to where to mount the remote connector box for the CB? Did you wire the box straight to the battery or through the fuse block etc.? Just looking for a few answers before I install everything on Wednesday or Thursday. Any info would be great!

-Casey
Old 06-19-2007, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Living Still
Anyone have any advice as to where to mount the remote connector box for the CB? Did you wire the box straight to the battery or through the fuse block etc.? Just looking for a few answers before I install everything on Wednesday or Thursday. Any info would be great!

-Casey
I put the box behind the glovebox, the remote connector on the panel below the glovebox, wired directly to the battery.

See this thread for some pics.

Good luck, have fun!
Old 06-19-2007, 06:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Living Still

-Casey
I mounted the box on the underside of the metal braket underneath the glove box. Take the glove box out and you'll see the metal bracket. I drilled two small holes in the bracket and screwed the box to it. I ran the wires directly to the battery. There is an unused nut/bolt on the frame next to the battery where I ran the ground wire (sort of hidden behind the plastic battery support). For the CB's quick disconnect I mounted the wire to the upper/left hand corner of the rectangular panel under the glove box.

I used the CoolTech bracket for the mic and the antenna is mounted to the spare tire carrier using a pre-production (Chadds Ford Electronics/Quadratec) statinless steel antenna mount and 36" Firestick. Nice clean setup and works great!!!

Howie
Old 06-20-2007, 11:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alright, well thanks for the advice guys. I like the under the glove box idea and will probably go with that when the CB comes tomorrow. The Cool Tech mount install took me quite a while actually... about four hours hahaha (with a dinner run and plenty of horse play). Of course then I had to take the license plate housing apart and do it again. Second time probably took me fifteen minutes with the aid of some deep sockets I kicked myself for finding three hours too late. Stupid me . Anyone get the quick disconnect for the antenna? Did everything line up ok? I had to go in and clearance the hole a bit so it could function smoothly. Over all a good kit though for anyone who wants to throw on a CB. Kudos to CoolTech!

-Casey
Old 06-21-2007, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

I mounted mine on the plastic panel right below the glove box. The Cobra 75 box mounting eyelets are easy to bend. I bent them by hand to match the contour of the plastic panel and mounted it using 8mm x 3/4" bolts. After it was mounted, I painted the bolt heads black and they are not noticable now. Facing the panel, I drilled a hole in the upper left corner to mount the plug plate. I ran the ground wire to the ground point on the right side of the passenger footwell. Since I mounted the box to a plastic panel, I ran and additonal ground wire from the box at the mounting screw to the footwell grounding point as well. After I did the mount, I took the JK to a CB shop and had it tuned. My SWR is between 1.1 and 1.2. I believe that the additional grounding wire helped, but I am not sure. I will take some pictures and try to post them if you want. The install looks pretty good and I did it all with a Dremel tool.

PS- use flat washers for mounting on the palstic. It is so soft that you will pull the bolt through when you tighten them if you are not careful.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered a 75WXST yesterday, and am using the VersaMount, but not the Cooltech cb mount. Walcott now offers a mount for JKs that mounts to the tire carrier. I liked it because it uses the existing bolts, so if I replace the rear bumper I can still use it when the tire carrier is gone - probably just need some washers for spacers or maybe nothing.

The cooltech mount is very nicely constructed, I'm just not fond of the location. I have a preproduction model that Kendall sent me if anyone wants it, and I don't use it, I'll give it away to someone.

Once this walcott one gets in, i'll take a look at both and make the final decision...and post some pics of the walcott one.

Last edited by JackMac4; 06-22-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry, not a big fan of the cooltech mount. Only because of it's price. DIY will cost you a lot less. Will post pic soon.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:58 PM
JK Freak

I went with the Arizona Rocky Road for the antenna mount on the spare tire carrier. The difference between the materials I was going to buy to make it versus the cost of the mount was $10 more - and it was better. On the cooltech mount - that price includes the coax, antenna, and connector plus the mount, right? Still a bit more pricey then a home job but just wanted to comment that I had to look twice to see that it was a kit and not just a mount.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deadspot
I went with the Arizona Rocky Road for the antenna mount on the spare tire carrier. The difference between the materials I was going to buy to make it versus the cost of the mount was $10 more - and it was better. On the cooltech mount - that price includes the coax, antenna, and connector plus the mount, right? Still a bit more pricey then a home job but just wanted to comment that I had to look twice to see that it was a kit and not just a mount.
How do you like the Arizona mount?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by John L
How do you like the Arizona mount?
I have dual AZ Rocky Road mounts (CB and ham) and like them a lot. I like the antennas mounted in the middle of the JK where they are less likely to hit trailside brush. Be sure to install a ground strap from the tailgate to the body for a good ground. See my earlier post for a good way to install the ground strap without drilling the tailgate.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/ground-strap-tailgate-mounted-antenna-8823/

Quick Reply: CoolTech CB Mount and Cobra 75WXST