Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

FCC and Enforcement

Old 03-25-2009, 06:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
how does the FCC catch people? I mean if I had my CB in my Jeep modded to have double the wattage.. #1 how would they know??? more importantly #2 how would they know it was me and not the semi truck behind me or whatever??? They have a CSI style radio freaquency database or something?
If a CBer stays on the CB channels, it's pretty hard to get popped no matter how many watts they run, especially mobile. What it usually takes is for guys to start runnin' off their mouths about what they are running, make a mistake and give their name, address, or phone # out over the air. Or they are consistantly causing interference to say, a neighbors TV or telephone. But, if a guy is running major power, a HAM radio op can find him with a small, and VERY sensitive dirctional antenna as well. There is some pretty high tech gear that can be used, believe me......I've seen it.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

....but who the hell needs a thousand watts? I can see wantin a little more than 4. Maybe 25 with a good antenna setup. Nobody's gonna ever come after you for that. Besides, a linear doesn't really help as much with reception as transmit, so what's the point? Just to talk over everybody? An old fashioned pissin contest? That's pretty stupid. Powerful mobiles are fun til it wears off.....REAL quick. Besides all that...did yall know that CB RF is a major cause of heart problems? It's true.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
how does the FCC catch people? I mean if I had my CB in my Jeep modded to have double the wattage.. #1 how would they know??? more importantly #2 how would they know it was me and not the semi truck behind me or whatever??? They have a CSI style radio freaquency database or something?

Believe me, they AIN'T comin after you for eight whole watts.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:59 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
....but who the hell needs a thousand watts? I can see wantin a little more than 4. Maybe 25 with a good antenna setup. Nobody's gonna ever come after you for that. Besides, a linear doesn't really help as much with reception as transmit, so what's the point? Just to talk over everybody? An old fashioned pissin contest? That's pretty stupid. Powerful mobiles are fun til it wears off.....REAL quick. Besides all that...did yall know that CB RF is a major cause of heart problems? It's true.
Exactly.....in the old days I remember the "big dogs' thinking it was great fun to squash a signal just by keying down. A pissin contest is a good anology, as I used to think the way these guys were talking about how bad ass their radios/amps were, you'd think they were talkin' about their dicks...lol...!!!
Oh and btw....unless the amp has a rx preamp also, then it does NOTHING for receive at all. So many times these guys would be "gettin' out" halfway cross the US, and guys would be coming back to them, but he'd have no receive to hear them. Before too long they are being called an "alligator" station....meaning all talk and no ears.
And yes.....RF can cause health problems for sure. I'm sure you've heard about the cell phones causing brain damage....
Old 03-26-2009, 09:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Pretty easy, really.

We used to play catch by triangulation. One person would head out, key in and we would have to find them. So if the laymen can do it without a problem then you know just how easy it is for the FCC.

Best to keep the lines clean.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by CIJeep
Pretty easy, really.

We used to play catch by triangulation. One person would head out, key in and we would have to find them. So if the laymen can do it without a problem then you know just how easy it is for the FCC.

Best to keep the lines clean.
You mean a good ol' Fox Hunt. Yep, not hard to do....
Old 03-28-2009, 05:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
And yes.....RF can cause health problems for sure. I'm sure you've heard about the cell phones causing brain damage....
I now understand many things in life after this comment. Don't ask for details
Old 03-28-2009, 08:39 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by goldtr8
I now understand many things in life after this comment. Don't ask for details
lol... Yes, on my end too...!!!

I was actually being kinda sarcastic there, as the verdict is still out about cell phones and brain damage. It's because of the very low level exposure to RF that has the "experts" questioning this. But others say it doesn't matter if you have the thing so close to your head all the time.............so who knows?

But, I do know that high levels of exposure at certain frequencys can reek havoc on the human body. A CB friend I knew years ago had his eyes severely damaged by RF in the military. He didn't talk about it much, so I have no details.

Quick Reply: FCC and Enforcement