Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Found another switchable source for power

Old 04-05-2008, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Found another switchable source for power

I installed an aftermarket amp and sub today and did not want to tap into the ciggy lighter wiring. So I opened the fuse box and read the descriptions of places where there were no fuses. Logically I thought that vehicles w/ heated seats only allow the heated seats to turn on while the vehicle is running. So for the hell of it I ran the remote wire from my aftermarket amp to underneath fuse M8 and inserted a 20 amp fuse. I started the Jeep and went back to the amp. IT TURNED ON. I shut off the engine, took the keys out of the ignition, then walked back to look at the amp. IT TURNED OFF!! Hence, a new switchable power source to tap into that nobody has mentioned, (at least from my tedious searching of the forums). If I'm not mistaken, I think there is also another heated seats fuse spot as well. I might tap into that to power my LCD monitor that I have yet to install.

I thought I'd share my discovery for those of you who don't want to hack up the factory wiring.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mobotix ,
Do you have a PIC of were you actually made the electrical connections?

Thx
Old 04-05-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a pic...

instead of smashing/crimping the wire like shown in the pic it might be a good idea to cut a notch in the fuse box plastic.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured that this was the way you did it. I was hoping that you were able to find the the output somewhere in the harness.

Notching the lid would probably be a good idea

Thanks for the PIC
Old 04-06-2008, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

It would be nice if there was a connector under the seats from the harness. Was that something you looked for but didn't find? Just curious.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is wiring underneath the seats. I'm sure someone on the forums can answer your question about which wire to tap into.

But the whole point of this thread was finding a power source where the splicing/tapping of wire was not necessary.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mobotix
..............was finding a power source where the splicing/tapping of wire was not necessary.
Nice find...This will definitely come in handy....Do you know if the other open slots above your connection are also an available power source....Thanks...

Old 04-06-2008, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice find, thanks for sharing!!!
Old 04-06-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mobotix
Here's a pic...

instead of smashing/crimping the wire like shown in the pic it might be a good idea to cut a notch in the fuse box plastic.
How'd you run the wires through the firewall?

Nevermind...another thread with the answer just popped up: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/fire-wall-hole-access-35304/

Last edited by jbeek; 04-07-2008 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Found info in another thread
Old 04-06-2008, 07:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice find! That's a good one to keep in mind.

Quick Reply: Found another switchable source for power