Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Icom 706 Troubleshooting

Old 04-09-2009, 01:08 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Icom 706 Troubleshooting

Anyone familiar with the older 706? Works fine on 2m, receives HF but will not transmit in SSB mode. The radio keys (you can hear the fan speed drop) but does not show output on the power meter. Switch to FM and key - it shows output on the power meter. The radio is new to me so I'm hoping it's something simple/stupid. Any ideas?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happens on SSB when you key and give a loud "Auuuuuuuuudio" in the mic ??

Not trying to be a smart arse but, it won't show anything on SSB if your just dead keying...Again, not trying to be a wise guy just don't know what your experience is..
Old 04-10-2009, 03:52 AM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N2MWL
What happens on SSB when you key and give a loud "Auuuuuuuuudio" in the mic ??

Not trying to be a smart arse but, it won't show anything on SSB if your just dead keying...Again, not trying to be a wise guy just don't know what your experience is..
Actually you're dead on. Went to a club meeting last night and got with the guy that sold me the 706. Cranked the mic gain up and - it seemed to be getting out fine. At least the power meter was registering. I wasn't dead keying but I didn't realize that voice input levels which work fine on 2m FM might not be enough for HF SSB. I'm learning
Old 04-10-2009, 04:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CJK
Actually you're dead on. Went to a club meeting last night and got with the guy that sold me the 706. Cranked the mic gain up and - it seemed to be getting out fine. At least the power meter was registering. I wasn't dead keying but I didn't realize that voice input levels which work fine on 2m FM might not be enough for HF SSB. I'm learning
good deal !! you're going too like that rig, my buddy has one and won't part with it.......
Old 04-10-2009, 09:59 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by N2MWL
good deal !! you're going too like that rig, my buddy has one and won't part with it.......
Yes.....an excellent rig.....all flavors, the first 706, the MK2 and the M2G. SSB is all about "audio" so to speak. Meaning you won't put out anything without actual sound going into your mic. I don't know what the guy that sold it to you taught you last night, and I have never operated one, but you should have an "ALC" (automatic level control) meter somewhere in there. This is what will show you where to set your mic gain while talking. The ALC needs to be set properly in order to put out the loudest, but "CLEANEST" signal possible. This needs to be done while running the processor as well. I hope you got a manual with the radio, if not I do believe you can download one online. My sugestion to you would be to read, read, and reread the manual some more....lol. As there are so many features in that radio that you need to become familiar with. And many of them are hidden in different menus. You should also have, and again I haven't operated one, adjustments to the audio. Meaning tone adjustments like bass and treble. The best thing you can do after you find these adjustments would be to get with another HAM locally and have him listen, and guide you as you make the adjustments. I doubt that the 706 has one, but most bass station rigs have "monitors" where you can listen to your audio on the same radio. But not many monitors can give you a true reading of what you actually sound like over the air. One of the best ways is to listen to yourself on a seperate receiver, but not many people have this capability.
Have Fun...

Last edited by AK4Dave; 04-10-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:28 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

It was a combination of mic gain, ALC, comp gain (tiny set screw adjustment on the side of the case), and engaging the compression function (didn't know about that one). Basically I had to tweak the radio to my voice plus use COMP when working DX contacts. Got through to Buenos Aires, Victoria BC, and Nova Scotia late this afternoon on 20m. Not bad for a 100w mobile rig using a hamstick antenna sitting in my driveway!

Every time I read through the manual on the 706 I find something else I missed
Old 04-10-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by CJK
It was a combination of mic gain, ALC, comp gain (tiny set screw adjustment on the side of the case), and engaging the compression function (didn't know about that one). Basically I had to tweak the radio to my voice plus use COMP when working DX contacts. Got through to Buenos Aires, Victoria BC, and Nova Scotia late this afternoon on 20m. Not bad for a 100w mobile rig using a hamstick antenna sitting in my driveway!

Good deal.....sounds like you're gettin' er all fingered out...lol
Old 04-11-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CJK

Gald its working out for ya !!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:17 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Well, apparently I had a mic going bad and didn't know it. Lost all audio which manifested itself as extremely low power output on HF and even though the 706 would hit the repeater on VHF it was carrier only, no audio. A friend with far more experience than I have suggested that I had more problems than just the mic (which we confirmed by swapping one off one of his radios) so I sent it off to Icom. The tech confirmed the mic was beyond repair but couldn't find anything else wrong with the radio (so much for our troubleshooting). Rather than pay for the diagnostic time of 1/2 hour, I'm paying for an hour in return for adjusting the outputs etc etc.

Meanwhile I found a deal on a 706 MKIIG so now I have to decide between selling the older, factory overhauled 706 or installing it in my CJ (the wife will never look there)!

Quick Reply: Icom 706 Troubleshooting