Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

More CB and Antenna Mount Pics/options

Old 03-16-2009, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More CB and Antenna Mount Pics/options

Need a place to mount a big CB? This works for me.
Also addressed getting the 4.5' ant in the garage door.

TRC-447
Teraflex mount
Francis 4.5' antenna

You may ask:
Does it interfer with your leg? No, I'm 6'2" 220 lbs and my leg won't touch it unless I really try.
Does it interfer fear with the 4x4 shifter? Not at all.
-wwiifirearms
Old 05-12-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have a pic handy, but I just used the standard mounting bracket that came with the CB and attached it with either sheet metal or wood screws by screwing it directly into the plastic console. It took a some trying and marking with a pencil to find a position that worked.
I haven't had any issues with the screws coming out and I have taken it on several all-day off-road trips over pretty bumpy trails.
Take your time marking the bracket position with the CB in the bracket and making sure to have room to attach the antenna on the bottom.
Good Luck. -wwiifirearms
Old 05-12-2009, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did the same mounting location but didn't screw into the console.

I used a thin 3x5 bit of galvanized steel that I had laying around, and put a "V" notch in one edge. I then riveted the CB mount to the steel plate.

Then I backed out the console mount screw that is in that spot, slid the "V" notch in the steel plate down over the body of the screw and tightened it back again. Install the CB on the bracket and Voila!

I have been offroad on some pretty good trails and never had an issue about it coming loose.

You can just see the plate behind the CB

Old 05-13-2009, 11:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default On dash

I chose top of the dash.

1.) Ease of accessibility
2.) The CB I chose (Cobra 29 LTD BT) matches the interior of the JK thus does not look out of place or too old school.

If you go this route beware your compass will most likely be hosed for a week or so. Mine was off but then recalibrated. Shortly after that my NAV started acting up but now that is back to normal as well.

If you have a big unit this is the most clean way to go while still being able to easily access the controls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0755.jpg
Views:	2850
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	24106

Name:	PICT0756.jpg
Views:	2792
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	24107

Name:	PICT0757.jpg
Views:	2779
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	24108
Old 05-13-2009, 11:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

BTW the replacement dash piece is only $12 if you decide to go back to stock.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

True the dash part is only $12, but windows are expensive. In my area just about anything electronic on your dash leads to a thug breaking your window to take it, even if they don't know what a CB is.

Also, I didn't like the look of it with my model CB, but that is just personal perference.
-wwiifirearms
Old 05-14-2009, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I might removed mine when I take the top off for the summer. Up in the air though because I have the bestop cab cover that hides the interior from wandering eyes, but someone could easily pull up one side and swipe the CB.

I like having it in day to day so I can jab with truckers and others. The problem with the mobile units is that they are so weak compared to the base stations so most the time I can't be heard at all. Thinking about a linear amp to get out a little further.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Preacher
I did the same mounting location but didn't screw into the console.

I used a thin 3x5 bit of galvanized steel that I had laying around, and put a "V" notch in one edge. I then riveted the CB mount to the steel plate.

Then I backed out the console mount screw that is in that spot, slid the "V" notch in the steel plate down over the body of the screw and tightened it back again. Install the CB on the bracket and Voila!

I have been offroad on some pretty good trails and never had an issue about it coming loose.

You can just see the plate behind the CB

I really like this! I just got a Uniden PRO538 today, and plan on installing tonight. I might go this route, but on the passenger side.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toad
My thoughts about the CB mounted down by your leg on the above post is that it may be hard to hear it. The speaker is lower so it's harder to hear instead of it being closer to your head. Especially if you were to mount it on the passneger side...the speaker is even further. again..just a thought.
Good point... but I have an external on mine, so I never noticed. Anyone considering this mounting location should get a cheap external from Radio Shack.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Valid point, toad. Mine has a front facing speaker, so I'll try it without the external. I've read through some posts with external speaker mounting options, so I'm prepared to go that route if need be.

Quick Reply: More CB and Antenna Mount Pics/options