Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

SWR meter off the charts. Think meter is busted.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SWR meter off the charts. Think meter is busted.

So my SWR readings are off the chart. I thing its my meter. The male connectors are shorted to each other. M getting continuity between the inner and outer rings on both connectors. Doesn't matter if its on the antenna side or the transmitter side. Does it make sense? Help
Old 09-06-2009, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like your antenna is grounded to the frame. Only the outer cable should be grounded.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:34 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by abock33
So my SWR readings are off the chart. I thing its my meter. The male connectors are shorted to each other. M getting continuity between the inner and outer rings on both connectors. Doesn't matter if its on the antenna side or the transmitter side. Does it make sense? Help
Not sure it makes sense to me. But, remember that when you measure with a VOM, you're measuring with DC what you are actually using for AC (RF is basically a high frequency alternating current). What is a short to DC may not be a short to AC at all. An inductor comes immediately to mind. There are special tools for testing RF cables, but most of us don't have a Time Domain Reflectometer (TDR) sitting around our garages.

Anyway, don't check RF cables for shorts with a VOM unless they are disconnected at both ends. If you get a short between the inner and outer conductors with both ends disconnected, then it sounds like you may have a strand of shield wire draped over the center conductor. Open and visually inspect for this; repair as indicated. Did you make this cable (or attach either connector) yourself, or was it pre-made?
Old 09-06-2009, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thought it was my meter. It ended up being the mount. It was missing the plastic ring. I'm getting all my readings at 1.9-2.5. I'll have to figure that out later. I've tried lengthening, shortening, adding a disconnect. Added a ground wire from the frame to the bottom of the mount. I'm tired of looking at the CB. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: SWR meter off the charts. Think meter is busted.