Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

? For Those of You with Gate Mounted Antennas

Old 02-14-2011, 04:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? For Those of You with Gate Mounted Antennas

Searched through many posts but can not find a definite answer..
I will be installing a CB within the next month and would like to go with a gate mount for the firestick, so my question is this...

I have the stock tire carrier/wheels and 11.5" wide Duratracs, so there is not much clearance at all between the sidewall of the tire and the gate. Maybe an 1-1/2" or so. I know most of the gate mounted antennas go to the tire carrier or at least to the bolts for the carrier. Anyone running a similar setup with the stock carrier and wheels that can tell me if something like the TF or Cooltech mount will fit without the tire bending the antenna back? To me it just doesn't look like it will fit there..
Old 02-14-2011, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

ht tp://www.arizonarockyroad.com/

I went with this option. It keeps the antenna higher so I does not bang on the top but that does get it in the branches sometimes. I use a quick disconnect from FS so I can remove it in a hurry if the trail gets too tight. It's all preference, I am moving my tag so the gate mount worked for me.

Last edited by Absolute; 02-17-2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: please no non sponsor links
Old 02-14-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

I know it's not what your asking for but I just installed the ultramount from cooltech and love it. Very complete kit and seems like it'd solve your problem.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

I've been considering that plate mount too, and guessing that is probably going to be what I'll end up doing, but felt better and liked the look of having it on the gate more. Especially since it would end up being cheaper too if I fab'd something

Anyone else have ideas?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Bump...? Anyone?
Old 02-16-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default How I did it...

Originally Posted by WhiskyPirate
Searched through many posts but can not find a definite answer..
I will be installing a CB within the next month and would like to go with a gate mount for the firestick, so my question is this...

I have the stock tire carrier/wheels and 11.5" wide Duratracs, so there is not much clearance at all between the sidewall of the tire and the gate. Maybe an 1-1/2" or so. I know most of the gate mounted antennas go to the tire carrier or at least to the bolts for the carrier. Anyone running a similar setup with the stock carrier and wheels that can tell me if something like the TF or Cooltech mount will fit without the tire bending the antenna back? To me it just doesn't look like it will fit there..
My post https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght-Relocation may help to answer your question. Got the antenna mount from Quadratec. If your tire is fatter than stock, lengthening the rubber bump stops will hold the tire away such that antenna has some wiggle room. I am running a 7' Firestick on a stainless spring; it was whacking my OEM 3rd brake light on the trail so I relocated the light assembly. All is good now. Cheers, hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My setup is a bit different, but I have a Cooltech mount with a quick disconnect and a 4' firestick.

In the picture you can see the mount (the antenna is not on, but you can see my quick disconnect on the Cooltech mount). The tire stop is the stock one, so you can get an idea of the spacing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110216_220428.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	128072Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110216_221343.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	128075

Last edited by remark; 02-16-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Here's mine. I've removed and reinstalled the tire carrier verifying no leaks or corrosion. No problems since July 09.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ntenna-Install
Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine on the teraflex and it does not touch the tire and I have a good low swr reading <1.5
Old 02-19-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Freak

You can see mine cramed in there but it works. Being sandwiched in between all the metal does make it pretty directional on mine anyway. And the SWR's are not that low at all. But it does allow me to stay in contact on the trail.
If I wanted it for REAL CB use every day on the road I would mount it somewhere else. But thats just me.

Quick Reply: ? For Those of You with Gate Mounted Antennas