Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Weather band only?

Old 05-02-2009, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Weather band only?

I'm looking for a weather band receiver to install in my Jeep instead of an entire CB unit. Does anyone make such a thing? Maybe a marine application? Thanks for your help.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A receiver like an Icom IC-R1500 will easily receive the weather bands (among other interesting things) and can be permanently mounted in the Jeep.

-Glen
Old 05-03-2009, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping to just bypass the CB all together. My experiences with CB have been filled with useless filthy CB'ers on the other end. Truck drivers, pervs, etc. I have a smaller Tandy CB unit, but places to mount it out of the way and with no cutting are minimal.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

I have a radar detector that picks up weather alerts and sounds a tone when a warning in area is issued. It also allows you to listen to the NOAA channels. I forgot the brand, but it was a woot.com deal a few years ago.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Jedi

Yes, I have just a plain weather, and weather alert marine radio. Radio Shack may have them, or find one online.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Yes, I have just a plain weather, and weather alert marine radio. Radio Shack may have them, or find one online.
Bingo! That's what I'm looking for. Something small that will mount right below the switch panel. Can you give me more info? Is it a VHF receiver?
Old 05-04-2009, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you just want to listen to the NOAA station, you can buy small am/fm/weather radios by First Alert for example for like $20. Keep it in your glovebox, take it to the beach, take it camping, take it to bed, listen to it in the bathroom. Also, any marine radio will pick up NOAA but will be alot more expensive. Check amazon.com for a start.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Look on ebay for a used Radio Shack scanner.
I've got an old Pro-51 that works great, a friend bought a used but excellent condition one the other day for $10.

Quick Reply: Weather band only?