Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Where to Install CB Antenna?

Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to Install CB Antenna?

Curious where is the best place to install the CB antenna? I have always used magnetic mounted whip antennas like the Wilson 5000. I don't see a spot to put my Wilson 5000, so I guess I'll install my Firestik 3' Firefly.

I have seen antennas installed on the tire carrier. Is this a good spot? Anywhere else any better?

What mount should I use? Is 3' long enough? Where do you run the coax?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:45 PM
angiotek2

Default cb antenna mount

try going here see what you think
http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/
Old 04-20-2010, 10:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put mine here
Old 04-20-2010, 10:03 PM
JK Freak

Mine is attached to the 3rd brake light on the spare tire mount. If you mount it to the tailgate you need to run a ground to the body because there are nylon bushings in the hinge that mess with the ground path.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I bought a piece of 1" wide iron (Or was it aluminum? Both are available!) at my local hardware store, and cut and bent it. Drilled a 1/2" hole for the antenna feed-through/adapter (cable attaches to one side, antenna to the other), and two holes to mount it with existing screws that hold the spare tire rack in place. The picture shows it before my new rear bumper (which came with a place to mount the antenna), but I've gone ahead and left it on the tailgate. I did not run a separate ground, and have 1:1.2 SWR on channel four--quite pleased with that. Here's a pic of the antenna mount I made (hats off to TORN, who guided me in this install) ...

I ran the cable from behind the glove box (where Cobra 75 is mounted), down along the right side of the center console (you can tuck it up underneath to hide it), under the carpet along the center tunnel (accessible at the left rear passenger seat mount), under the carpet all of the way to the cable run at the tailgate hinge (remove the long panel on the tailgate to access), and through the rubber feed-through out the back of the tailgate (accessible by removing the small, vertical vent panel on the tailgate). Use zip-ties to secure it with existing cabling in the tailgate area. I coiled up a foot or two of excess cable under the carpet on the right side of the storage area in case I need to do some work to repair the cable.

This is a three foot antenna. I also have a pre-tuned two footer for when I get into heavily forested areas (it's easy to break an antenna poking up above roofline) ...

Old 04-21-2010, 06:13 AM
JK Junkie

Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I bought a piece of 1" wide iron (Or was it aluminum? Both are available!) at my local hardware store, and cut and bent it. Drilled a 1/2" hole for the antenna feed-through/adapter (cable attaches to one side, antenna to the other), and two holes to mount it with existing screws that hold the spare tire rack in place. The picture shows it before my new rear bumper (which came with a place to mount the antenna), but I've gone ahead and left it on the tailgate. I did not run a separate ground, and have 1:1.2 SWR on channel four--quite pleased with that. Here's a pic of the antenna mount I made (hats off to TORN, who guided me in this install) ...

I ran the cable from behind the glove box (where Cobra 75 is mounted), down along the right side of the center console (you can tuck it up underneath to hide it), under the carpet along the center tunnel (accessible at the left rear passenger seat mount), under the carpet all of the way to the cable run at the tailgate hinge (remove the long panel on the tailgate to access), and through the rubber feed-through out the back of the tailgate (accessible by removing the small, vertical vent panel on the tailgate). Use zip-ties to secure it with existing cabling in the tailgate area. I coiled up a foot or two of excess cable under the carpet on the right side of the storage area in case I need to do some work to repair the cable.

This is a three foot antenna. I also have a pre-tuned two footer for when I get into heavily forested areas (it's easy to break an antenna poking up above roofline) ...

Man thats a good looking jeep I love that rear bumper set up you have.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by TJsJK
Man thats a good looking jeep I love that rear bumper set up you have.
Thanks. It did take me ten months to get delivery, but it was worth every second of the wait.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

The spare tire mount seems to b popular but I'm going to be installing my antenna on my license plate bracket this weekend. :shrug: Just another option is you like.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by White Widow
i put mine here
where did you get the mount?

Quick Reply: Where to Install CB Antenna?