Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

$1000 dollars to spend ,Please help

Old 12-22-2015, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok no light bar,no spod,It's my first ever jeep and yes I have taken it out quite a bit,yes I know I don't need a spod for a light bar, but I was hoping to keep everything organized, for future upgrades like a winch
Old 12-22-2015, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spod $480, amazon 50" lightbar $300, lightbar mounts $180. Yes, you can make it happen for less than 1k
Old 12-22-2015, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

if you want a light bar get one, not good for when its snowing (but assuming that it stops snowing), they will light up the world... even a cheap $200 one will make you go WOW
Old 12-22-2015, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by twofourflinching
Spod $480, amazon 50" lightbar $300, lightbar mounts $180. Yes, you can make it happen for less than 1k
Thank yo,do you have a preference for the spod? And maybe a link for the Amazon one?

Originally Posted by gerry2153
if you want a light bar get one, not good for when its snowing (but assuming that it stops snowing), they will light up the world... even a cheap $200 one will make you go WOW
Thank you and yes found one that the center section of LEDs are Amber,outside flood are still clear ,wondering how this one would work,I'll keep searching.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would seriously get some new headlights before anything - way safer! I like my pederson units but some folks like TL's, JW's, etc...

Also - call Northridge if you're set on a light bar. They'll set you up with a spod, lifetime LED 50” bar, and mounts for under a grand. I have a single row lifetime LED and it's pretty cool no matter what the haters say :-)
I did have to send it back and no problem on the warranty because of a bad seal.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

No the amber section is still no good in snow. Its the way the LED bars put out light, compounded with you mounting it above your windshield. For snow you need dedicated fog lights. Not flood lights, not JUST amber lights but actual FOG lights. You need them mounted low. Lower the better. That's why I suggested getting proper headlights, like the hella super sevens. They are still halogen, so they don't need silly anti flicker modules that break and are troublesome (mine had to be hard wired in as the connectors were cheap). Then for your long distance light, the hella 500 with 4300k 55w HID are great as 1. cheap. 2. Put more light down the road than any light bar I have seen, (my friend has 2 20" rigids on his f150 and my hellas out shine his by a fair margin.), and 3. The color from the light bars are just annoying.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

I will say that the conditions have to be just right for the light bar to work. If there's a hint of fog, dust, rain, or snow - the light is a distraction. It being above the windshield is a hinderance.
Where I really like it is night wheelin (if nobody is in front of you). It does give a nice even blanket of light from the front of your jeep out to about as far as your high beams and sweeps pretty far from side to side as well. No hot spots.

It's not going to throw light a 1/4 mile down the road like some of the other options out there or like what Kojack is suggesting.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

Ok thanks guys.. so i'll get the spod and start looking into the Hella's and ditch the light bar. Anybody know where to get the spod and the symbols to go on the switches (i.e. winch/ foglights /Backup lights)
Old 12-23-2015, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sodak
Ok thanks guys.. so i'll get the spod and start looking into the Hella's and ditch the light bar. Anybody know where to get the spod and the symbols to go on the switches (i.e. winch/ foglights /Backup lights)
https://www.otrattw.net/
Old 12-23-2015, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sodak
Love my SPOD! Got mine from Marcus at River City Offroad. They offer forum members a discount. The labels do not come with. You have to include separately for like $7.50 or around there.

Quick Reply: $1000 dollars to spend ,Please help