Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2008 Mopar Remote Start Kit

Old 11-17-2007, 02:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can be done. I have spoken with a stereo/alarm shop in Baltimore and they said that it could. For safety, they hook it up so it will only start when not in gear. The downside, they wanted $450.....too steep for me.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was going to do it, but after discussion with many people that install these for a living I decided not to in the safety interest of my JK.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just talked to my stereo installer and there is an alarm system available that will remote start. How cool is that? Lemme know how ya like it!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BaltChief
For safety, they hook it up so it will only start when not in gear.

I wonder how it knows when the manual trans isn't in gear?
Old 11-18-2007, 10:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
I wonder how it knows when the manual trans isn't in gear?
That's what I was wondering. I don't see how it would possibly know on a manual tranny.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just been through this with mine. My wife really wanted this since she drives it in bad weather and she is too short to easily scrape ice from the windows due to the lift. She has to park way away from the emergency room where she works and wanted to let it defrost before she goes out to it. So, yes the shop thought they could do it but he's what happened. First off the unit used was a Compustar. It has a procedure you have to go through during shut down to make sure it's left in neutral with the parking brake set. You have to put it in neutral set the park brake and take your foot off the brake. Then turn the key off. The engine actually continues to run until you exit and shut the door. It is then armed and will remote start. Failure to shutit down like this will disable the remote starter. Sounded OK. The problem is the damn security key! There is a module in the kit that is supposed to learn the key code and send it to the ignition switch to trick it into thinking the security key is in place. In all the prior vehicles with transponder keys this was simple. It took 2 properly coded keys to program a new key, or this module. Not the new Jeep keys! They can only be programed by a dealer using the 4 digit code. (by the way I was told a new key was over $200 so don't loose em ! ) There is no way to put that code into the remote start module. So the only way the remote starter will work is to leave a key in the ignition. Probably not a good idea ! So there you have it............3 days, a few more grey hairs, and an unhappy wife later, no remote start. I hate the way all the electronics are tied together. Electronic ignitions were a great idea but it has gotten out of hand with all the fly by wire bullshit.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:04 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jrtjk
With winter coming (/here!) I'm looking at adding a remote start to my JK. I've seen the Mopar kit but am a little confused at the multiple prices, and the dealer wasn't exactly sure either.

A local installer quoted me at $300 installed for an aftermarket system. He guarantees his work, solders every connection, etc. However, I think I'd still rather a bolt in system meant for my Jeep, not just an aftermarket one that has to be spliced in some parts.

Has anyone had a dealer or aftermarket person install the Mopar kit? If so, how much did you pay for the kit and for the install? Are you happy with it?

I have a 2 door Sahara non power door locks or windows, no alarm, just sentry key. Wondering if I can still just add it simply with no problems from not having those features? Here's to wishing I built instead of bought from the dealer...

Thanks!
My dealership would have had to order me a Mopar kit, and I was in a hurry for my Jeep, so I them install a "Pursuit(?)" brand remote start prior to delivery... The remote start is actually identical to the "Mopar" kits, as Mopar simply rebadges this brand's remote start.

I can't recall the exact price, but I DO remember that it was exactly $100 less than the "Mopar" kit would have been. I want to say it was $400 including labor and tax. I'm very glad that I got it - clean install, works great, and was a God-send last winter... my wife gets the garage, so I got a remote start!

I didn't know that you COULD get a Sahara without power options... does that mean that you also don't have a factory alarm? That's the only conflict I can see, between a non-power model and a remote start... meaning, if you remote start the vehicle, but haven't disabled the alarm, you may run into trouble. That, and a manual transmission doesn't mix with a remote start in the JK.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

I don't have the Mopar, I too went w/an aftermarket. I believe with a reputable installer, it really doesn't matter what brand you go with as long as the installer knows their $hit. The JK operates a LOT of its functions on single wires... so you might have one wire that rolls up windows and rolls them down... or maybe one wire that locks and unlocks your doors... the computer just sends different resistance for the two operations and therefore one wire can do multiple things. Most alarms will bolt right up as long as you have the propper resistors.

Anyway, like I said, don't get too hung up on Mopar, just make sure you have a reputable installer and go buy what you want.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
That's what I was wondering. I don't see how it would possibly know on a manual tranny.
There's a system called compustar (compustar.com). supposedly it works this way...
when you finally stop when you get to where you're going, apply the hand brake and you shut off the ignition and take the key. at this point the car is still running, but you know it's not in gear because it would have jumped forward if it was. once you step out of the vehicle and lock the doors, the car shuts off. now it's ready for remote starting without worrying that it's in gear.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

i believe james76 did it to Wilbur. he might even have instructions...

Quick Reply: 2008 Mopar Remote Start Kit