Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Adding Homelink to my 2013 - tap into the mirror wiring harness?

Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rearview

Originally Posted by fizzlenet
Excellent! Thanks!

Why would there be a BACKUP LAMP FEED to the mirror?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Very helpful!

to tell the camera NOT to dim when in reverse.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent. Looks great!

Did you splice in somewhere inside the trim? Thats my thought.
Yes, when you pull that top trim piece off, you will see all the wires leading to the mirror. You may have to peel back some if the black wire loom to expose the wires. Then I just used T taps.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm..... that's definitely an interesting idea. My goals for the homelink are have an always accessible button that is switched and the SPOD would do it. Do you have any photos? What do you use the rest of the SPOD for?
My SPOD also powers lights on the bumper, windshield lights and my radar detector has a spot on it. I also have open spots for CB (installing next weekend I think) and rear lights (waiting for the bracket). That fills it out and I don't need to add anything else to it. If I ever run out of space, I'll consider moving it. I don't mind it's always hot as it's not obvious (the switch is "Landing Lights" from OTRATTW) and I like being able to open my garage when I need to from the truck on or off.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

This is a great mod. I'm developing a kit that will include the new trim and use more rugged buttons....

The wiring list above is correct. No need to use an spod for this.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rploaded
This is a great mod. I'm developing a kit that will include the new trim and use more rugged buttons....

The wiring list above is correct. No need to use an spod for this.
I did it out of want, not need. I know there's no need - I didn't want another "thing" in my Jeep. This is all hidden which I like. Not for everyone.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RaleighDavid
I don't know the answer to your question. But what I can add is that I added Homelink to my 2013 JKU Sahara. I bought a unit off ebay, programmed one of the buttons to my garage door. I then broke out the soldering iron and forced the switch to always be on. Then I wired it to a spare switch on my SPOD, waterproofed it and put it under the hood. Now I have Homelink from my SPOD.
Great idea, I like this! I am going to go this route. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2013, 05:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Anvil10A
Great idea, I like this! I am going to go this route. Thanks!
Thanks. It works for me and I really like it. I did order the "Landing Lights" cover from OTRATTW which I think is fitting.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RaleighDavid
I don't know the answer to your question. But what I can add is that I added Homelink to my 2013 JKU Sahara. I bought a unit off ebay, programmed one of the buttons to my garage door. I then broke out the soldering iron and forced the switch to always be on. Then I wired it to a spare switch on my SPOD, waterproofed it and put it under the hood. Now I have Homelink from my SPOD.
Did you take any pictures as you did this? I think this is a great idea, where did you put the homelink switch that you wired to sPod switch? Is there a certain unit that you have to buy on ebay or could it be any? Don't have the dual switches on my sPod but wondering if you did id you could actually program 2 garage doors
Old 04-13-2017, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much did the Homelink module set you back?
Old 04-13-2017, 06:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippman
How much did the Homelink module set you back?
Here is another option -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...er-mod-255952/

I am actually doing this right now as I took my rollbar padding off and now have no place to hide my garage door remote. Bought 5 mini buttons on ebay for $5 and going to mount two of them on my a-pillar with the unit hid just inside the side of the dash.

Quick Reply: Adding Homelink to my 2013 - tap into the mirror wiring harness?