Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Amazed by uconnect with doors off...

Old 05-25-2008, 02:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amazed by uconnect with doors off...

Just as a bit of an FYI for you guys who are curious about how the uConnect does with doors off - I thought it would be unusable, but when I was driving home to try to beat the storm today, I called my wife to see if it was raining at home. I had to lean into the area where my mic is mounted a bit, but she was still able to hear and understand me. I have to admit that I was a little shocked...
Old 05-25-2008, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

Thats good info.

I have been on the fence with buying the uconnect, Since i hear it only works sometimes.

I will need to meet up with you and check out your setup!

Adam
Old 05-25-2008, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Def. good to know. I'm into my dealer (who also happens to be my customer) tomorrow to order the pieces. Should get a good deal for a good setup.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Two thumbs up on the uConnect from me too. I have the soft half-doors, and it works well.

I called home while I was loading some stuff in my car at the store today, and got some funny looks talking to the car - and it was talking back. But it worked great even while I was behind the car.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Big A
Thats good info.

I have been on the fence with buying the uconnect, Since i hear it only works sometimes.

I will need to meet up with you and check out your setup!

Adam
Where did you hear it only works sometimes? Do you mean only works with certain phones? I haven't heard anyone who's got it complain that it works only sometimes. I've got it and love it. Well worth every dollar spent on it.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
Where did you hear it only works sometimes? Do you mean only works with certain phones? I haven't heard anyone who's got it complain that it works only sometimes. I've got it and love it. Well worth every dollar spent on it.
On the Jeepforum, There was talk about this and only certain radios are uconnect capable in the Wrangler.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Yeah... I'd heard some of the 07's had a dead port in the back of the radio or something like that.

Big A - Was it you I saw last night at Target in the Rescue Green w/ hard top? I got mine done at Springfield Jeep. Tell Pat that you want to do the same thing Ross did with Uconnect. Mine was the first they did and when they enabled mine in starscan the language got set to French, so we had to read through the manual and find the voice command to change it back to English.

I think I may have seen your name on OzarksJeepThing as well, but I plan on going to the meet-n-greet in two weeks so you can look it over there as well if you want.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 07, does mine fall into that? How much is it and do you get it from the dealer?

Havent been keeping up on the Uconnect threads!
Old 05-31-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MOWrangler
Yeah... I'd heard some of the 07's had a dead port in the back of the radio or something like that.

Big A - Was it you I saw last night at Target in the Rescue Green w/ hard top?
Nope!

I have the Jeep Green Rubicon.

Right now it's at GL Moore tire getting the final touches done with the brake lines.

Yes, I am on all the local boards with the same same, Hit me up sometime!

And i would have bought from Springfield, But they would not get any Rubicons in...Weird. I bought from Heritage in Ozark.

Adam
Old 05-31-2008, 07:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rubimon
I have an 07, does mine fall into that? How much is it and do you get it from the dealer?

Havent been keeping up on the Uconnect threads!
The write-up I used came from the first post in this thread. If you read all the way through it, they discuss some of the problems people had with using the iPod kit on some of the 07's. A few guys had luck with getting their dealer to replace the radio under warranty, but like all things, it is totally at the dealer's discretion.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/uconnect-working-my-07-unlimited-sahara-24436/

I got them to throw in the parts when I bought the jeep, but I think the kit is around $200 for uconnect and another $50 for the iPod cable.

Quick Reply: Amazed by uconnect with doors off...