Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Another Wiring idiot needs help!

Old 09-03-2009, 03:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another Wiring idiot needs help!

I am wiring my new Hella lights and have run into a road block. I have everything wired up the way the instructions are written except I'm wiring two sets of lights to one switch. Below is a wiring diagram of how it is currently installed. When I turn on my high beams and flip the switch for the new lights I have power to the switch and I hear the relays click but the lights do not turn on. What have I done wrong?????

If this image doesn't show up here please see the wiring diagram in my photo album.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by bksnyder2; 09-03-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

It sounds like you don't have primary power going to the lights. I can't find that wiring diagram. I search on My.Project-JK.com for your user name and it says there are no pic's. Maybe post up a URL?
Old 09-03-2009, 04:26 AM
JK Newbie

If you click on my user name for this post and go to "VIEW PUBLIC PROFILE" the wiring diagram is in my photo album titled "MY JK BUILD"
Old 09-03-2009, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Here’s a diagram it works I am using it on mine. Any questions feel free to PM me.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tesst.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	29558  
Old 09-03-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

OK...so I just checked my wiring and compared it to your diagram and everything looks the same except I have a switch that controls them. I'm kind of stumped! I guess I just need to double check all of my connections.

Do you see any issue with grounding the lights to the bolt that attaches them to the metal bumper? I figured that would be a good grounding point but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bksnyder2
OK...so I just checked my wiring and compared it to your diagram and everything looks the same except I have a switch that controls them. I'm kind of stumped! I guess I just need to double check all of my connections.

Do you see any issue with grounding the lights to the bolt that attaches them to the metal bumper? I figured that would be a good grounding point but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks
Open the Hella's and reverse the wires connected to the bulb! The Black is hot and the blue is ground! Don't ask me why Hella did this but I purchased 2 sets and I had to do this this to both sets! And then they worked and still work just fine! (I know that light bulbs are non-directional when it comes to the flow of current but this is what fixed the issue!)
Old 09-03-2009, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

Be a little carful swapping wires without knowing what is /is not grounded , A large fuse or the lack of could result in a mushroom cloud, To answer your question yes the bumper is normally a good ground and will work if you don’t want to go back to the battery (preferred) Do you have a test light ?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I'm kind of nervous abou that one too. But, I already have the black as the hot and the blue as the ground so I think I'm fine there.

I do have a volt meter but it is at the house and I didn't have time to check it last night so I'm going to run through the whole system tonight with the volt meter.

We'll see what happens.........
Old 09-03-2009, 11:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by bksnyder2
If you click on my user name for this post and go to "VIEW PUBLIC PROFILE" the wiring diagram is in my photo album titled "MY JK BUILD"
Ah, there's that sucker. Sometimes I'm a dunce.

Unfortunately, your diagram is a little sparse on necessary details. What exactly is going on inside of your switch, and inside of your relays? Use of standard schematic symbols, similar to what Renegade put up, would be much more revealing. Also, why the ground on the switch? It looks like you're tapping the voltage on the high beams, then using that through the switch to trigger the two relays. I don't understand why there would be a ground (I ask because those of us who wire them to work anytime sometimes just wire the ground to the switch, then wire the hot voltage to the relay and use the switch to provide the required ground to the relay coil).
Old 09-03-2009, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Here is the wire diagram from Hella I was using to install the lights. And now that you mention it I would like it better if I didn't have to have the high beams on to use them som maybe I'll look at doing it that way.

Quick Reply: Another Wiring idiot needs help!