Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

anyone upgraded there headlight/foglight bulbs?

Old 10-12-2007, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got them in today, its to cold for me so ill do it tommrrow, fogs look easy just unbolt the plastic front skid plate and its easy from there although the headlights looked alittle diffiucuilt how do you on due the grill?
Old 10-13-2007, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SHADOWMAN024
Just got them in today, its to cold for me so ill do it tommrrow, fogs look easy just unbolt the plastic front skid plate and its easy from there although the headlights looked alittle diffiucuilt how do you on due the grill?
I bought some SilverStar Headlight bulbs at my local parts store and installed them this morning. I took off the entire grill and I have to say it was E-A-S-Y, and I'm by no means a master mechanic. I'm sure there's better instructions to be found via a thread search, and there are some as well in the owners manual, here's mine...

All I had to do is open the hood, loosen the 5 or 6 "screws" on the top of the grill and remove the screw assembly (they're really plastic screw-nut things, like a toggle bolt / plastic drywall thing you use to hang a picture). Then like the manual says, I grabbed the grill on the bottom, starting from one side to the other, pull to loosen the snap-clips. I had one "screw" on the top of the grill that didn't remove, so I had to use my drill to coax it out of there (not a big deal). Once all the "screws" were removed, I lifted the grill from the bottom and the grill came off. Twist off the parking lights from the back (twist the bulbs counter-clockwise) and off comes the grill.

Removing the trim bezels around the lights was easy, four torx screws hold them on (size unknown... I have a set of torx bits and the sizes aren't marked) and off they came. Then the headlight's hanging free. Twist the lights from the back of the headlamp. The only tricky thing is that the bulb's harness has a red locking clip on it which was pretty tight. I had to use a flat-head screw driver to life the locking clip and had a pry ever so slightly where the harness meets the bulb to remove.

Do the other headlamp and then all the steps in reverse to complete the job.

Again, I'm not a great mechanic by any means, but even with my skills it took at best 30 minutes. The new headlights look great and I can't wait to drive at night to see how much better the Silverstars light up the road.

Best of luck on your install.

Other thoughts:

It was amazing how light that grill was. If I ever damage it, it will be super easy to remove. I even saw a sticker on back as to who painted the grill, saw it the date my grill was "born" and that it was made for my JK (there's a VIN sticker on it as well).

While I had the grill off, I was thinking how cool it would be to make a wall hanging for my son's room or my basement out of a JK grill and some headlamp / parking light assemblies. You could wire some 110volts bulbs up for "headlights" and have a really cool "picture" on the wall. But that's a project for another day
Old 10-13-2007, 10:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

That takes care of the headlights now for the fogs i crawled underneath to see how difficuilt it would be and it looks easy, just disconnect platic skid plate and the fogs should be in view if anyone has done this am in for a big suprise?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Just replaced my factory headlight bulbs with the Silverstar's too and I took some pics for comparison...there's a difference, albeit a small one. Overall, it IS alot better.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:
Old 10-14-2007, 08:42 PM
JK Junkie

I've used the Sylvania Silverstar's in my vehicles for the past couple of years and love them. The only problem I've had though is in one of my other vehicles, it was difficult to change and I had to touch the glass on the bulb to get it in. This caused it to go out very quickly (within 6 months). At first I thought I had an electrical problem after changes 3 bulbs in less than a year, but after having it checked out, they suggested using gloves when I changed it and sure enough, no problems since.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SHADOWMAN024
That takes care of the headlights now for the fogs i crawled underneath to see how difficuilt it would be and it looks easy, just disconnect platic skid plate and the fogs should be in view if anyone has done this am in for a big suprise?
The fog light bulbs are a peice of cake. Just remove 4 plastic screws holding skid plate in place. pivot skid plate out of the way and simply twist the bulbs and pull them out of the fogs. pop in the new bulbs screw in the 4 screws and ur good to go. Takes maybe 10 min. peice of cake and makes the fogs much brighter.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by degenerate
i thought the factory lights were terrible. the first thing i did was upgrade the bulbs. it's ridiculously easy. harder if you have gorilla hands.
Damn Sounds like one of my first upgrades.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the advise everyone put mine in the other day and the fog lights are a lot brighter now, headlights are brighter too. Thanks for the pics look like mine, another thing the plastic skid plate is easy for non rubicons but if you have a rubicon like me the sway bar motor gets in the way from underneath so the easier way would be to take of the 2 screws right below the grill and you just have to reach down there and un due them much easier than lying on your back getting dirty, but this is my method some people may find the skid plate method easier. Either way 1/2 job for both lights.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

Where can someone get these Silver Star bulbs and what should one expect to pay for them?
Old 10-17-2007, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by REL1203
Where can someone get these Silver Star bulbs and what should one expect to pay for them?

Headlamp $20(us) each, fog light $25(us) each according to quadratec's catalog. I got the page marked and will be buying them soon.

Quick Reply: anyone upgraded there headlight/foglight bulbs?