Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Boooooring electrical ground question

Old 06-27-2018, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Boooooring electrical ground question

I found a broken grounding strap bolted to the passenger side of the transmission. Looks like it failed right next to the cat. I haven't found the other end yet, anyone have any idea where this goes? Where I should look? I am having some wonky electrical problems so this might be an easy fix for one or more of those! I can get a pic if that would be helpful, probably should have done that already huh. I'll get one. In the meantime, any insight would be appreciated
Old 06-27-2018, 04:38 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

got a pic by chance? i just went out and looked at mine but couldn't see what you might be talking bout. with skids on it's kinda tight quarters to see, but didn't see anything obvious there on passenger side. Maybe it's only there on the manual tranny??
Old 06-27-2018, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

There's one on that side that goes to the hood. I don't recall if I routed mine under the main harness (against the firewall) or if it's like that out of the factory.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
There's one on that side that goes to the hood. I don't recall if I routed mine under the main harness (against the firewall) or if it's like that out of the factory.
That actually goes to the engine block. Anyhow, it is a brittle & frail connection, and it's very difficult to remove from the engine block due to the heat shield. Run a heavy gauge cable from the battery negative to the alternator bracket, and many of the electrical Gremlins will go away... especially the "click no start" phenomena. It definitely worked for us. We ran a 1/0 cable from battery negative to alternator bracket, and another 1/0 from the alternator bracket to one of the driver-side groind bolts.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:34 PM
JK Freak

One more thing: the cable to the hood is really for improved RF ground plane & RFI reduction. We upgraded that too.

Before & after:

​​​​

Last edited by OnBelay; 06-28-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I grabbed a few pics and the ground is on the block and not the trans. I checked that hood/firewall ground location in the above photo from OnBelay (belay is on). I have no strap from the firewall to the hood and the only connection from that stud is to the negative battery terminal. I have a dual battery setup that makes it a little more challenging to get a good look in there but I'll take some time tonight and open it up.

The block end (rusty bolt dead center):

Under the hood. No ground strap, though the stud is there. I removed the hood once to cut holes for the hood louver, maybe I forgot to put the strap back on? That seems unlikely but nobody's perfect

Old 06-28-2018, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
I grabbed a few pics and the ground is on the block and not the trans. I checked that hood/firewall ground location in the above photo from OnBelay (belay is on). I have no strap from the firewall to the hood and the only connection from that stud is to the negative battery terminal. I have a dual battery setup that makes it a little more challenging to get a good look in there but I'll take some time tonight and open it up.

The block end (rusty bolt dead center):

Under the hood. No ground strap, though the stud is there. I removed the hood once to cut holes for the hood louver, maybe I forgot to put the strap back on? That seems unlikely but nobody's perfect
The strap must have been removed. The only issue with a dual battery system is that the strap can arc with the positive node (assuming that a positive node is oriented parallel to the dash and inboard as with the Genesis system). An arc is what precipitated our replacement. We insulated the replacement so that this would not happen again. Pic of dual battery and hood strap below:

Old 06-28-2018, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

That makes a lot of sense. Nice setup. I'll take some time and make sure everything is properly grounded, see what that nets me in terms of shaking my electrical issues.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
That makes a lot of sense. Nice setup. I'll take some time and make sure everything is properly grounded, see what that nets me in terms of shaking my electrical issues.
The other side ... just FYI.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Boooooring electrical ground question