Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

dealer installs new mygig rer and now I have NO VIDEO!!

Old 10-07-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
i have a manual and video works fine when stopped an in park. in maryland there is absolutely nothing that says you cant watch movies in the driver's seat, IF the car is parked. on older dvd players, it was easy to bypass as they were just equipped with a back wire that attached to the parking brake that read ground when the parking brake was applied. on newer dvd players, and im assuming the mygig, there is the parking brake wire and an internal gyro that detects movement of the vehicle.

also, we bought out jeep in maryland, so the above is kinda wrong.
(a) A motor vehicle driven on a highway in this State may not be equipped with television-type receiving equipment in front of the back of the driver’s seat or otherwise visible to the driver.
I am not trying to argue with you, but that seems to be pretty straight forward. I know my dealer here wouldn't know how to turn it off if they wanted to. I doubt they care what the law says.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Jedi

yes, i am a cop..or something:D
since you left that part... I guess you are not a cop? security guard maybe? Prison Guard?

Im just poking at you... dont get mad.

Last edited by bigbluejk; 10-07-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
since you left that part... I guess you are not a cop? security guard maybe? Prison Guard?
no, im police. and definitely not mad in the least. the problem with law is it gets written one way and then interpreted by the courts in another way.

Last edited by wazooz2424; 10-07-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I am not trying to argue with you, but that seems to be pretty straight forward. I know my dealer here wouldn't know how to turn it off if they wanted to. I doubt they care what the law says.
yes, that is how the law is written, however, its been interpreted in court that its only illegal once the video is playing while the vehicle is in motion and within view of the front seat.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:20 AM
JK Junkie

i have a manual and video works fine when stopped an in park. in maryland there is absolutely nothing that says you cant watch movies in the driver's seat, IF the car is parked. on older dvd players, it was easy to bypass as they were just equipped with a back wire that attached to the parking brake that read ground when the parking brake was applied. on newer dvd players, and im assuming the mygig, there is the parking brake wire and an internal gyro that detects movement of the vehicle.

also, we bought out jeep in Maryland, so the above is kinda wrong.
Look at you window sticker and it will show you where the JK was originally shipped to. Mine was originally shipped to Salt Lake City, Utah and that's the reason the video playback was completely disabled on my JK. But the sad thing is that no matter what the dealerships tried (yes I went to 2) none of them could get it to work at all. All I could do is hear the sound of the video not the video itself. Once I got the Lockpic it works all the time! and now if i like I can install rear headrest screens.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone for the discussion. I watched the dealer try to enable the video as you guys have stated. We did this procedure multiple times. I read today on mofv.com that there was a software cluster update... TSB 08-25-8 ...that applied to 08 Manual JKs with no video, My JK is an 07. However the new radio may be an 08? I called the dealer today and he can not find the TSB with that number, he is going to call for engineering support.
My Nav input works fine, atleast how it is supposed to work. I can not enter anything while in motion.
I think eventually I am going to just buy a lockpick to solve the problem. But I still believe that when Jeep sells a vehicle under warranty in a state where there is no law, then they should have to repair or replace this radio until it is working properly. Properly in this case would be for the video to play while parked and parking brake applied, so I plan on holding them to it. I will keep you updated on my progress, Thanks again for all of your help.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks to md laws i got my 08 jk cheap real cheap
Old 10-23-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Dealership called me today. They want me to bring the Jeep in next week and they said they think that they have it figured out. We'll see...
They also have to replace my clutch for the second time. I still have the throwout bearing squeak..
Old 11-03-2009, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Took my Jeep back in today for the mygig and clutch. On the Mygig, they said "T hat due to the large number of lawsuits regarding the video systems in the Jeep that Chrysler is no longer allowing them to activate the video systems." .I could not believe they tried to sell me that crock of S#$%!!! So the service manager gave me the number for Chrysler /Jeep Customer Support. I have never talked to and dealt with such idiots in my life. Their suggestion was to take it to a " Five star" dealership service center, I then reminded them that currently the jeep is sitting at a " five star " service center with the clutch hanging out of it for the third time ..Why would I want to drive forty miles to take it to another one of their warranty repair centers that they themselves are not supporting.
Damn they are making me miss my TOYOTA.....
If they are not gonna fix this dvd problem I am going to take them to court if I have to in order to get refunded for the MYGIG option. ($1800.00 if I remember correctly.) I know this can be fixed with a lockpick for $200.00 but it is the principle of the matter. This is exactly the kind of customer service that has caused us Americans to buy Foreign Cars
Sorry for the Rant! Six times at a dealership, three clutches and three MYGIGS, and still the same issues is rediculous.
Oh by the way, now they have found that the clutch inner sleeve? is leaking, so they are gonna have to keep it again until the parts come in tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your situation sucks. sorry. I understand your position.

I would erase the take them to court thought from your mind before it erodes your well being. It isn't going to happen. You are not going to take them to court and if you did you don't have anywhere near the money to fight them over something so stupid.

It sucks. You got screwed. Life goes on. You are correct Chrysler Customer Disservice is the biggest joke I have encountered in my life time also. Imagine how you would feel when you have critical issues and have to deal with those bozos.

Quick Reply: dealer installs new mygig rer and now I have NO VIDEO!!