Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Disable electronic data recorder (EDR Aka Black Box)

Old 05-24-2011, 04:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What exactly does this thing do ?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
If there is a way to keep my information private then I'm on it.

Basically it records what inputs and outputs are happening with your jeep just before a failure occurs- to my knowledge.
Without being absolutely sure of what it is recording, how much history is recorded and how it can be used and by whom, all defined clearly (difficult, I know) by law I am against.

For what I know dealers can download this information anytime you stop there for service that could even have GPS data included, and suddenly they and the factories can be selling information about your life to anyone who pays. No, but no, thank you.

If anyone knows how to disable please add me to the list. I'll knock mine down.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't even know they were recording data... damn.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
^^

Dealer: Well according to the info we got from your Jeep, you took this thing out to the Rubicon trail, so.....your warranty is voided in full.

Jeep Owner: WTF? FML and thanks Chrysler.
Jeep Owner: But it says Rubicon and Trail Rated right next to eachother?
Dealer: Oh those badges...don't mind those
Old 05-24-2011, 08:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JK Owner: I was doing the speed limit.... Like 55 MPH, then a deer ran out in front of me, I swerved to avoid it and crashed..

Trooper: your black box said you were going 95 MPH with wide open throttle.... and your back seat was full of empty beer cans!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NH-JK
JK Owner: I was doing the speed limit.... Like 55 MPH, then a deer ran out in front of me, I swerved to avoid it and crashed..

Trooper: your black box said you were going 95 MPH with wide open throttle.... and your back seat was full of empty beer cans!
Holy crap alcohol meters built in too! Lol
Old 05-24-2011, 08:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by estim8d
I didn't even know they were recording data... damn.
Welcome to the "new order".

Apple was caught doing that, Tom Tom was caught, Google was caught, and we can just extrapolate the list.

All these companies self-entitle the right to spy in their customers at those companies' own will. Enough...
Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Good God

Old 05-25-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
hahaahaahaaa...
Old 05-25-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Event Data Recorder constantly loops recording information on whether the seatbelt is buckled, vehicle speed, percentage of brake and accelerator being applied and airbag deployments. This information is only burned in for the last 3-5 seconds before a collision or "event". There are no GPS coordinates or any information about where you are at, going or have been being collected (it's not Onstar). Other than the dealerships having them, some larger law enforcement agencies have them and they are generally used in major accidents involving great bodily harm or death, and even then it's only collected after a warrant is issued. The units are several thousand $$ and you have to buy specific adaptors for different makes and some models. Almost every car manufactured today has the same EDR information being collected. If yours happens to be downloaded, you probably have bigger issues to deal with at the moment and I wouldn't worry about it. Pretty much all of the information it is collecting can be reconstructed by the police anyway. Select few get specialized training that lasts weeks in reconstructing accidents, to include speeds, seat belt usage, distances, reaction times, etc, etc., on top of that their are computer programs that help in this investigation.... and it's all proven in the courts.

Quick Reply: Disable electronic data recorder (EDR Aka Black Box)