Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Disable electronic data recorder (EDR Aka Black Box)

Old 05-22-2014, 01:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't confuse automotive Event Data Recorders with aviation "black boxes". EDR records pre-crash vehicle speed, driver inputs of accelerator or brake, and the nature of the crash. It even save your life by notifying authorities in the event of a crash, through a service like OnStar. It was initially used by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration in 1991 to determine the details surrounding a car crash. But invading one's privacy is one of the disadvantages. Here is the proof: Event data recorders: Saving lives and invading privacy.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Friday 2322 is correct. Only On Star collects GPS data. The 5 secs of data that all the other car are required to have beginning in 2013 are only saved in an event that is called an algorithm wake up in the airbag control module. Dealers cannot view the driving history because it is not there. If the vehicle has been in a prior crash, that event will be stored until another event over writes it. Most modules prior to 2010 only have longitudinal and lateral changes in velocity that the airbag controller was measuring to determine if deployment was needed.
I have hit some pretty rough bumps in my Jeep and even bottomed out the suspension a few times. There are no events recorded in my EDR. It is also true that a warrant is needed unless you have written consent from the owner and in FL is only even asked for in fatal crashes.

To answer the OPs question. Remove the airbag system is the only known way.

Last edited by Smitty12JKU; 05-23-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah a friend of mine was in an accident a couple months ago and someone hit him while he was going through a green light. Other guy said he ran the red... no witnesses besides my friends passenger. My friend though he was going to win this no problem since the dealership told him it has a data recorder in it and saves everything from before an accident on impact. Kinda wish he told me this prior to the accident as I would of ... he called the dealer and they had no idea what he was talking about. Turns out it was just the EDR and police were not interested in it either, ended up having to pay for the repairs himself since neither party could prove the other ran the light.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Default Government Mandated Explosive Devices

Personally I am not a fan of government mandated explosive devices in my face so that does not hurt my feelings any.

Originally Posted by doctorspears
My current research suggests the data is stored within the ACM (air bag control module). This makes things more complicated if you wish to retain the function of the airbags.

Quick Reply: Disable electronic data recorder (EDR Aka Black Box)