Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

ESC ESP/BAS Trouble Lights

Old 03-18-2015, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC ESP/BAS Trouble Lights

My ESC Electronic Stability Control Light and ESP/BAS Electronic Stability Program/Brake Assist Lights keep coming on. Not very often and very random. I took it to the dealer when it first happened but the lights had gone off by then. They stated they couldn't help me without the lights being on. I thought there would be a code that would let them know the problem. He did however tell me that if it happened again I might need to replace the factory airbag. At $600 plus. Since Nov. the lights have come on maybe 3-4 different times. I have noticed that they come on along a stretch of interstate where there is a radio tower but doesn't happen every time. Both lights always come on together and go off together. I'm wondering if it could be radio interference. Also the tread on the tires is getting lean. Passed inspection but won't next year. Original tires, almost 64,000 miles 2010 Wrangler. A friend suggested that due to the tread wear it might be causing the lights to come on or maybe just a loose nut. Any suggestions? Seems the dealer doesn't want to help but does want bucks.
Thanks
Old 03-18-2015, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wheel speed sensor
Old 03-18-2015, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default Wheel Speed Sensor?

Sorry, but what exactly does that mean? I'm a carpenter not a mechanic.
Thanks
Old 03-18-2015, 10:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Han****
Sorry, but what exactly does that mean? I'm a carpenter not a mechanic.
Thanks
Your Jeep has a wheel speed sensor at each wheel. That sensor sends information to the computer that the Jeep uses to control various functions, including the antiskid/traction control/anti-lock braking system.

In this image, the item with the red O-ring around it is the wheel speed sensor as I was removing it to replace a ball joint ...

When one of them goes bad, then the Jeep may think you're in a skid or losing traction or something and it will try to correct for that. That's when you see them lights. You can also see them lights when you cross especially slippery patches such as ice/snow. In that case, the ESP control system is doing exactly what it was designed for. Sometimes I've seen the lights come on just crossing a bridge at the break between the road surface and the bridge surface. Funny thing, one time it happened and I was one of five vehicles--and two of the others had the same exact light come on. In that case, it can take the Jeep a little while to realize that everything is under control before it turns out the light. In those cases, that's normal operation and nothing to worry about.

However, if you're convinced that your ESP/TCS system is going haywire, things to check include the wheel speed sensors, already mentioned, the wiring to the wheel speed sensors, the unit bearing where the wheel speed sensors are mounted (if contaminated--it is the item with your tire lugs on it at the right of the image above), and the straightness of the steering wheel (there is a sensor in it that tells the Jeep what direction you're traveling and if it doesn't agree with what the wheel speed sensors are reporting, then it can activate the ESP/TCS systems). The absolute most common reason that those lights come on is because of a lift that was installed, but the steering wheel wasn't properly straightened.

So, that all brings us to a really important question: What mods do you have on this Jeep? It is really helpful when folks fill out their profile information so that those answering questions like yours can take a look and give you a better response. Even small details like where you live could be important: Remember that business about ice/snow causing these lights to come on?

Finally, it does sound like your dealer is not being very forthright. The ABS system is monitored for codes by the Jeep, but it takes a better quality code reader to actually see them. The dealer certainly must have that. It's correct there may not be codes, but it would be incorrect to say there never are codes. Did they attempt to read them? If so and none were reported, then I'd expect the wheel sensors are all working correctly. Your problem is either because your system was working normally, or because your steering wheel is not perfectly straight. And by perfectly: I do mean perfectly. There is very little room for error. If your steering wheel is not exactly level as you drive straight ahead, then you will see those lights come on, usually when doing tight turns at higher speeds--such as a sharp Interstate off-ramp.

If it is your steering wheel, you can pay a shop for a front end alignment. Again, not knowing what mods are on your Jeep, it's not possible to tell you whether you really need to do that. A stock Jeep has only two easy, but important, adjustments that can be made. It's about 30 minutes work for you (because you need test drives to determine steering wheel straightness and success of each adjustment)--15 for a mechanic on an alignment rack. Those two things are tow adjustment (front tires pointing the correct directions, on your Jeep slightly to the inside), and that steering wheel. Here is how you can do those two adjustments yourself, should you decide that's what you need ...

Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 03-18-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:10 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info. 2010 2 door Wrangler. 32" tires 3" factory lift kit installed when I purchased the Jeep new. I do on occasion notice a shimmy or pulling to one side . Figured I needed an alignment. I'll get the local parts shop to test.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah mine started after I parked it on an incline. I'm guessing something came loose.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

This started for me about 2 years ago. I throw code c1210. "G sensor" I have been trying to figure it out with no luck. I think next step is stealership for me.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

I'm having the same issue. I took it to the dealer and they could not diagnose the issue no error codes. It's now come on a least 6 or 7 times during a recent trip. I'm going to try and disconnect the battery overnight to see if it resets otherwise back to the dealer.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:52 PM
Former Vendor

If the steering wheel is straight it sounds like one of your wheel speed sensors is going.

Michael @ Level 10
Old 03-22-2015, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks wheels are straight. I'll have to see if it pops on again. I drove ~50 miles today after I disconnected the battery and of course everything is ok.

Quick Reply: ESC ESP/BAS Trouble Lights