Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Fog Lamps on with High Beams?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some comments:

- I believe in using them whenever possible. They illuminate close and WIDE.
- Who care's if it's legal (unless you actually have an inspection issue). Driving with your high beams on is also illegal.
- On one of my prior cars, the fogs used the high beam power wire as a switched ground. That means when high beams are off, the fogs have a ground, but when the high beams went on, the fogs lost ground and went off. I found that switched ground via the shop manual and simply changed it to a fixed ground. Easy. I wonder if Jeep is the same way. Anyone have wiring diagrams?
- double check to make sure your fogs are installed right side up! Mine were upside down when the dealer put my Mopar bumper on. Fog light pattern has sharp cutoff at top of beam, and spreads low. Upside down, that pattern lights up the trees and is right in the faces of oncoming drivers.
- double check aiming.
- yes, they seem kind of bright, but since I've had mine flipped, I haven't been flashed again once. And I use them all the time.
- Did someone actually type "expecially"?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I really feel sorry for you guys if you need your Fogs on in order to be able to see. When you are alone on the road its fine. When there are other cars around its irresponsible.

It takes a really intelligent person to blind the driver of a couple thousand pound vehicle hurtling toward them at 55 MPH.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

High beams are NOT intended for use in fog. The straight pattern of high beams reflects off of fog and right back at you. I would suggest having the fog lights switched all by themselves. Driving lights, on the other hand can be switched with fog lights. I don't recommend that either, but it's only by personal chioce.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am not really sur ebut I think that the AEV programmer makes the fogs come on like running lights??? Any help on that? Don't hold me to it but I thought they did that. I run mine too alot but not if I am behind someone, thats just wrong, and I will cut them if I get flashed(which to my surprise does not happen too much). They are bright and they could be a danger to other drivers if they are blinded by your fogs they might not judge how close they are to you on the road and then everyone has a bad day. Just one Jeep bums opinion. JOE>
Old 02-23-2009, 06:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If aimed correctly, they should NOT blind oncoming drivers. Period. MANY cars now come with factory fogs and people drive with them on all the time. They are extremely helpful in illuminating the sides of the roads better. And when I drive home through my neighborhood in the winter, where it's dark by 4pm, I'd like to be able to see kids or other pedestrians on the side of the roads or yards, etc.

I was getting flashed when I first got the Jeep. I checked and the lights were installed upside down, as I said earlier. I had the flipped over and have not been flashed once since. And they work better now (ie, AS INTENDED!).

The writing on the lense should be on the top.

It's all in the aiming. Maybe some Jeeps are getting flashed because they've taken the rake out with a lift kit but not compensated their headlightls?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

In Virginia, you will not pass inspection if you do not have the fog lights wired into the headlights so that they cut off when the high beams are on. I have two driving lights on my front bumper and a toggle switch to turn them on whenever I want. I went to have it inspected and they put on a rejected sticker, went to a local shop where I knew the people, cut the wires to the driving lights and took them off, took it back to the dealer and they passed it, then I just reconnected the wires with some snap lock connectors. So the short answer is no, it is not legal to have them with an alternate switch, but it is very handy
Old 02-23-2009, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

anyone make a cheap HID kit for the JK?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:03 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LedZepp877
anyone make a cheap HID kit for the JK?
Yeah, they're on Evilbay for like 69 bucks. Just search "HID H13".
Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by derff96963
I don't understand the obsession with everyone wanting to use thier fogs all the time. They are "Fog" lights not "driving" lights. They are not meant to be on all the time especially when passing oncoming traffic unless in heavy fog or inclimate weather.

I pass two JK's on my way to work most mornings. One is lifted and one is not. They both really bother my eyes when they are passing. The lifted one more so but they are both too bright. I am up high in my JK and they bother me. I can only imagine what they are doing to the driver of your average car.

The moral of the story please turn them off.....
I dont understand what your obsession with what other people do is all about.
This guy asked if there was a way to run the fog light with the high beams. not a lecture on common sense, or common courtesy. I personally run my aftermarket fogs with my high beams all the time. They really help to illuminate the dark country roads I travel on. However I have enough sense to turn the high beams off when there is on coming traffic.

You never bothered to ask what this guy was going to use these lights for. For all you know he was going to use them on private property, but you just decided to lump him and all other people who run their fog lights into one group of people that dont have enough common sense to shut off the high beams when theyre coming at you. On second thought, you never did clarify if the other 2 jk's who had bright lights were using high or low beams. I guess if they were using fogs with low beams, and they still hurt your eyes, maybe your just too sensitive.

Any how maybe you just shouldnt bother posting if you dont know the answer to the original question. Not everyone needs to agree with you.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kevinc
I dont understand what your obsession with what other people do is all about.
This guy asked if there was a way to run the fog light with the high beams. not a lecture on common sense, or common courtesy. I personally run my aftermarket fogs with my high beams all the time. They really help to illuminate the dark country roads I travel on. However I have enough sense to turn the high beams off when there is on coming traffic.

You never bothered to ask what this guy was going to use these lights for. For all you know he was going to use them on private property, but you just decided to lump him and all other people who run their fog lights into one group of people that dont have enough common sense to shut off the high beams when theyre coming at you. On second thought, you never did clarify if the other 2 jk's who had bright lights were using high or low beams. I guess if they were using fogs with low beams, and they still hurt your eyes, maybe your just too sensitive.

Any how maybe you just shouldnt bother posting if you dont know the answer to the original question. Not everyone needs to agree with you.
Oh so like your post is useful to this conversation? It goes both ways. If I am irresponsible for posting then so are you. My first post suggested using a second switch and a relay to do what he wanted. That's the most logical way to do it.

My intent is to open people eyes to what they are doing. I get blinded Daily on my way to work by two Jker's that probably do not belong to this forum and no they do not have their high beams on.

My point is they are "Fog" Lights. Not driving lights. They are not meant to be on 100% of the time your headlights are on.

As one person posted if they really adjusted theirs down and it doesn't bother anyone that fine. If you take the time to do it. The problem is most don't take the time to adjust them and drive around blinding everyone.

The lifted JK even gets honked and flashed at by other people quite a bit. However he hasn't changed a thing and I have seen him most morning for months.

Quick Reply: Fog Lamps on with High Beams?