Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Fog Lamps on with High Beams?

Old 02-23-2009, 02:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

But it doesn't matter how they're aimed, if they're fog lights, they are illegal to have on in most, if not all states unless there is inclement weather. It's not about how they are aimed. If you're pulled over with them on, you'll likely get a ticket. I see it all the time around here, too and I don't like it either. People have no regard for the law. It's all about what they want, everybody else be damned.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
But it doesn't matter how they're aimed, if they're fog lights, they are illegal to have on in most, if not all states unless there is inclement weather. It's not about how they are aimed. If you're pulled over with them on, you'll likely get a ticket. I see it all the time around here, too and I don't like it either. People have no regard for the law. It's all about what they want, everybody else be damned.
If you get caught speeding you will get a ticket too, but that doesnt stop most people. The point is he wasnt asking is it legal, or does he have your permission. He asked can it be done.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:45 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by kevinc
If you get caught speeding you will get a ticket too, but that doesnt stop most people. The point is he wasnt asking is it legal, or does he have your permission. He asked can it be done.
Right, and I answered in a previous post. Someone can get out and beat the SHIT out of him too for having bright ass lights, but that's his problem.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kevinc
You might want to look at the original post. His second question was is it legal in VA to do it.

Please try reading the entire thread before you start jumping down someone's throat.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's what I'm wondering...

I think I want to rewire the stock foglights to thier own relay and switch (something mounted "tj" style down near the ESP button). By creating a new circuit, I can ride highs + fogs, which would be nice (whether or not you agree, I want it). Truly doesn't bother me if the stock fog-toggle and dash indicator don't work anymore. Is anyone currently running this setup?

Also, would it be possible to have it wired both ways simultaneously, with some sort of hidden toggle switch or quick disconnects, so that I can easily put it back to normal operation for inspections?

I'm no electronics expert, and so my friend is planning to help... but since he's no Jeep expert, I'm asking all of you for help!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by GreenTJ_2_BlackJK

I think I want to rewire the stock foglights to thier own relay and switch (something mounted "tj" style down near the ESP button). By creating a new circuit, I can ride highs + fogs, which would be nice (whether or not you agree, I want it). Truly doesn't bother me if the stock fog-toggle and dash indicator don't work anymore. Is anyone currently running this setup?

Also, would it be possible to have it wired both ways simultaneously, with some sort of hidden toggle switch or quick disconnects, so that I can easily put it back to normal operation for inspections?

I'm no electronics expert, and so my friend is planning to help... but since he's no Jeep expert, I'm asking all of you for help!
I'm just wondering....have you ever had your high beams on in the fog?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 AM
JK Freak

Illegal FOR SURE in Virginia......They will bust you every time! This one never made sense to me...........High beams on and you blind the oncoming driver......dim your lights and now you have 4 lights.....which blind the oncoming driver. Can't really say I need the extra light with low beams, but would REALLY like it with high beams. WTF?
Old 02-25-2009, 05:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenTJ_2_BlackJK

Having a dual setup could be good, as you described. I think the way to do it would be to run a new power wire from battery to relay, to lights. Then take the stock power wire and also run it to the same relay. This way if the relaly gets hot from the OEM switch, it goes on. Or, if it gets hot from your newly wired switch, it goes on. This should also make inspections a breeze.

And yes, I agree that fogs on with high beams is a great idea for NON foggy conditions where you are in a dark, area, like twisty roads, etc. Hell, my wife's Lexus puts highs and lows on together! (but the fogs do still cut out with high beams).
Old 02-25-2009, 06:49 AM
JK Jedi

Adam, fog lights are made specifically for fog. I am in complete agreement that it would be nice to have extra lighting with the high beams. It makes more sense. But why do you want fog lights? Reason I'm asking is because there are many more type lights on the market that provide way more light in clear conditions.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Adam, fog lights are made specifically for fog. I am in complete agreement that it would be nice to have extra lighting with the high beams. It makes more sense. But why do you want fog lights? Reason I'm asking is because there are many more type lights on the market that provide way more light in clear conditions.
Why use my fogs? Because they're there. Seriously, they are already there. Came with the Jeep. If I upgrade my OEM headlights to E codes, or add more lighting, then yes, I'd use driving lights or something. But I'm just talking about how to use what we have already.

Quick Reply: Fog Lamps on with High Beams?