Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Headlight relay buzzing

Old 09-23-2008, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnmedic
what happened to the diagram someone had posted on how to wire in the relay? I could have sworn it was this thread...maybe it is somewhere else.

anybody...maybe it removed for some reason?

it had the radio shack part numbers and everything!

OR, AM I GOING CRAZY?
Your not crazy It was here now it's gone maybe someone had a liability issue dsy had posted it on page 2

Last edited by renegadelt1; 09-23-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

woh, crazy, now i see it. that was really weird... glad renegadelt1 couldn't see it either...at least i know i am not crazy

Last edited by mtnmedic; 09-23-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

Just wanted to add my $.02 to this thread;

I just installed a set of HID headlamps and Foglights from XenonWorx in my '08 Rubi Unlimited. Their kit is the bulb-replacement type that use the factory reflectors, and the Hi-beams actually cause the bulbs to move in their socket to change the reflection angle.

They came with a harness that seemed to include a "Can-Bus fix" circuit, as the harness has its own power & ground leads, as well as a "little black box" in the middle of the harness. Sure enough, when Iplugged it all in, the ECU was happy, but the little black box buzzed when hi-beams were activated while the motor was running.

I was able to fix the buzz by simply putting a 25v 100uF Capacitor across the hi-beam & neutral leads of the OEM light connector - in Parallel with the rest of the HID harness. If I used any higher a value capacitor, the buzz still stopped, but there was a perceptible delay (>2s) between turning off the highbeam switch, and the beams actually turning off. I didn't go any lower than 100uF. There's still a 'delay', but it's in the order of 300ms.

Just thought that this might help anyone else who reads this thread. (Because I didn't have an obvious automotive relay in my HID harness, nor did I want to throw it away.)
Old 02-07-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gavitron
Just wanted to add my $.02 to this thread;

I just installed a set of HID headlamps and Foglights from XenonWorx in my '08 Rubi Unlimited. Their kit is the bulb-replacement type that use the factory reflectors, and the Hi-beams actually cause the bulbs to move in their socket to change the reflection angle.

They came with a harness that seemed to include a "Can-Bus fix" circuit, as the harness has its own power & ground leads, as well as a "little black box" in the middle of the harness. Sure enough, when Iplugged it all in, the ECU was happy, but the little black box buzzed when hi-beams were activated while the motor was running.

I was able to fix the buzz by simply putting a 25v 100uF Capacitor across the hi-beam & neutral leads of the OEM light connector - in Parallel with the rest of the HID harness. If I used any higher a value capacitor, the buzz still stopped, but there was a perceptible delay (>2s) between turning off the highbeam switch, and the beams actually turning off. I didn't go any lower than 100uF. There's still a 'delay', but it's in the order of 300ms.

Just thought that this might help anyone else who reads this thread. (Because I didn't have an obvious automotive relay in my HID harness, nor did I want to throw it away.)
Did you install the diode too? if not you are risking a back feed from the Cap when the voltage on the canbus drops. This "could" damage the main CPU.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not having anything around to build a harness for the Cibies and 80/85 watt bulbs I just ordered the Susquehanna Motorsports harness specifically designed for this conversion, and it works perfectly.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Just as a quick note:

The diagram specifies a 220pF Capacitor and that is likely a misprint. It should be 220uF. 220 picoFarads are not polarized and are much to small for this application, the 220 microFarad seems more in-line with reality and they are polarized.

BTW: Nice write up !
Old 04-15-2009, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the write up I've got to do this I have kc daylighters doing the same thing, I connected onto the high beam wire at the light and went to the relay mounted on the firewall beside the battery.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

does anyone know if the capacitor trick is needed with the factory foglights as well? . . . I need to switch my recently purchased ballasts with digital ones (which I am told by galmax will work with the canbus system) and need to know if I need to switch boith sets or just one.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

Question Relay with diode

Would a micro relay with diode protection avoid the need to solder one on the cable coming from the high beams?
I have 4 hellas FF75 to install on my roof rack, I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	micro-relay-diag.gif
Views:	445
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	32008  
Old 10-26-2009, 09:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cavok4x
Would a micro relay with diode protection avoid the need to solder one on the cable coming from the high beams?
I have 4 hellas FF75 to install on my roof rack, I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible...

In theory yes . . . if they have one rated for enough amperage. I wouldnt go less than 30 or 40 amps . . which is why the standard 5 pin Bosh Relays are so popular I think.

Quick Reply: Headlight relay buzzing