Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Headlight relay buzzing

Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanNEBTD
In theory yes . . . if they have one rated for enough amperage. I wouldnt go less than 30 or 40 amps . . which is why the standard 5 pin Bosh Relays are so popular I think.
Where I live my lights must have a switch (I bought 2 illuminated rockers) AND can only be used when the high beams are on. So I was thinking of feeding the switches from the high beams... what I'm starting to wonder is if it wouldn't be better for me to use one of those micro relays with diode (and soldered capacitor) just for feeding the switches: I would be both reducing the amp drainage from the high beam circuit and providing non modulated current to my illuminated switches which, in turn, would activate my hellas' relays. ...overkill?

It would actually be a bit more complicated because I'm thinking of placing a hidden on/on rocker switch to choose from the high beam or the accessory circuit for when I'm off roading but that's a different story
Old 02-02-2010, 08:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Default help!!!!

So i just put in some HID's last night for the headlights... they are bright as hell but I have a huge problem..

1. So I turn them on low beams then turn right on and are bright as hell.

2. on my way to work driving down the road then the passenger side flickers and turn off and the driver side stays on. I am pissed so I turn on the brights and turn it off. they both turn back on I thought it was kinda weird.

3. driving for about 5 more minutes the driver side HID flickers and turns off and the passenger side stays on.

4. turn off the headlights completly turn it on they both turn back on.

5. this happend all the way to work. about 8 or 9 times.

6. FYI I drive a 2010 jeep wrangler sahara.. not sure if anybody else had these same issues. the lights are grounded to the battery...checked all connections and everything is realy tight...any suggestions would be a huge help.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2010jeeper
So i just put in some HID's last night for the headlights... they are bright as hell but I have a huge problem..

1. So I turn them on low beams then turn right on and are bright as hell.

2. on my way to work driving down the road then the passenger side flickers and turn off and the driver side stays on. I am pissed so I turn on the brights and turn it off. they both turn back on I thought it was kinda weird.

3. driving for about 5 more minutes the driver side HID flickers and turns off and the passenger side stays on.

4. turn off the headlights completly turn it on they both turn back on.

5. this happend all the way to work. about 8 or 9 times.

6. FYI I drive a 2010 jeep wrangler sahara.. not sure if anybody else had these same issues. the lights are grounded to the battery...checked all connections and everything is realy tight...any suggestions would be a huge help.
Try the capacitor/diode trick . . if not the i would just tap into the parking lights to trigger the relays. the lights would be on whenever your parking lights are but no more can-bus BS
Old 02-02-2010, 11:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Hey!

See the thing is mine did some with a Relay for the Harness...the tech from the company that makes them said it is possibley getting to much vibration.. ha ha ha ha I laughed at him and told him you know i am driving a Jeep Wrangler right!!! he was like ohhh well ummm... I would mount them better the best part is they wont take them back because they are used they are only a 5 hour flight from an ass kicking!!! LOL
Old 02-02-2010, 01:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2010jeeper
See the thing is mine did some with a Relay for the Harness...the tech from the company that makes them said it is possibley getting to much vibration.. ha ha ha ha I laughed at him and told him you know i am driving a Jeep Wrangler right!!! he was like ohhh well ummm... I would mount them better the best part is they wont take them back because they are used they are only a 5 hour flight from an ass kicking!!! LOL
You need to use the capacitor across the relay. The reason is that the JK sends a pulsed electrical signal, so your HID lights are not getting a consistent signal to be on. The capcitor will smooth this out so the lights will get their constant signal.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Hey DSY

Hey DSY!!

Thanks so much for that diagram!!! well do you think it will fix this issue i am having.

driving down the road everything is working great. go to turn on brights and the HID headlight turns off..and the Halogen bulb turns on and it is dark as hell....so then I turn then off and boom the HID goes back on...then went down a country road to test them out again and turned on the brights and the HID stayed on i was like wow that is weird now its working....so then i try to turn lights off and on the dash lights turn off but the lights would not turn off... I had to move it back and forth from on to off multiple times and then they would turn off....
Thanks
Jake.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

I currently have the susquehanna harness on my JK. Think I could use this for my upcoming HIDs? Or just use the harness that comes with the kit? Or both?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 AM
JK Junkie

I am confused about the diagram. It may be that I don't have my HID kit in yet with the harness. But does anyone have a clearer picture of the cap/diode trick on the actual wiring/relay?

And I have error cancellers coming in as well, so I hear that they will not work for the high beams. Is this correct? (DDMtuning).
Old 05-17-2010, 05:23 AM
JK Junkie

This relay diagram can be applied to the HID harness? Since they have the amphenol connectors...
Old 05-17-2010, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

see if you can find this relay it's solidstate and works with the low voltage that's at the jk's lights, mine has 9.10 v at the bulb, https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...66#post1528066 check this link.

Quick Reply: Headlight relay buzzing